Discuss Pool pump motor humming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all

Back in July last year I installed a new pool pump/motor. The problem is it's now making a humming noise and trips the breaker.

I initially thought it was the capacitor, but opened up the back to find there is no capacitor. Didi a little research and thought maybe it was a shaded pole motor. But what was causing the symptoms could be a pitted centrifugal switch, a bad start winding. I'm not sure

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks

Have you checked that it turns (by hand)?

Can you show a pic of the motor, at 1 hp it won't be shaded pole but could be split phase if there is no capacitor present.

similar to this one

I don't think it's a universal motor. I expect that pic of a brush motor armature on the linked webpage is a mistake by whoever was tasked with finding a pic that showed copper windings. It's dual voltage, it runs at induction speed, the spec picture shows an induction motor, and a brush motor would be a poor choice for this application.

When you say it hums and trips the breaker, is that while it is running or does it not run? If it's running, the centrifugal switch might be stuck closed. If it isn't, it might be stuck open. Or there might be a winding short. We'll need to look inside and check resistances. Are you equipped with a multimeter?

Hi all

Back in July last year I installed a new pool pump/motor. The problem is it's now making a humming noise and trips the breaker.

I initially thought it was the capacitor, but opened up the back to find there is no capacitor. Didi a little research and thought maybe it was a shaded pole motor. But what was causing the symptoms could be a pitted centrifugal switch, a bad start winding. I'm not sure

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks
Locked rotor by the sound of it Mate

So I did a little more research this morning as follows

There are 4 types of single-phase induction motors

Split-phase motor
Capacitor-start motor
Capacitor-start capacitor-run motor
Permanent-split capacitor (PSC) motor
Shaded-pole motor

The fact it has no capacitor narrows it down to either a Split-phase induction motor or a Shaded-pole motor.

This indicates either the centrifugal switch or a winding has gone bad or a resistor on a Split-phase motor

So I can somehow see if one of the windings has gone bad by testing with a multimeter

The job site is 60 miles away so I'm getting as much info together as possible before I head there early next week

Before delving into the electrics try WD40 to loosen the shaft and waterproof lithium grease to lubricate the bearing, always worked with my pool pump, kept it going for twelve years, but I did have VFD on it and specific time periods and speeds.

Oh yeah my jobsite was 700miles away.

The OP says he can turn it by hand, presumably freely. So the problem is electrical, not mechanical. It's not always possible to discover whether a winding is bad just with a multimeter, because unless the correct resistance is known, a fraction of the turns might be shorted while still giving a plausible resistance reading. But a problem with the centrifugal switch, which is the most likely, will be easy to find. If the switch tests OK and the supply voltage is reasonable, and the motor is free to turn but still doesn't start, we can reasonably presume the windings are at fault.

Reply to Pool pump motor humming in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net