Discuss poultry steel sheds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

richy8ball

i was wondering if anyone on here had any experience in wiring large poultry steel sheds? a good friend of mine has a company erecting these sheds with a gang of lads under him. was seeing what was involved in wiring them?

Wiring them will be the easy part it's the earthing and bonding that needs special consideration.

If you are running a sub main of an existing supply then more than likely I would opt for the steel outbuilding to be installed as a TT system. Have done steel outbuildings but not poultry sheds.

Have done a poultry shed, was extremely easy in the 'poultry' part. LED Festoon lighting controlled by dawn dusk system. Few fluorescents as back-up/for cleaning out.
The magic was at the 'egg room' end, conveyors, fans, alarms, feeders, auger for silo etc.
As far as earthing was concerned it was an entirely steel building, TT system, the suspened poultry floor was entirely plastic so no special requirements there! Used steelwork as a stake, readings of approx 1 Ohm with 30 Odd steels stuck into the ground!

Used steelwork as a stake, readings of approx 1 Ohm with 30 Odd steels stuck into the ground!

Were the steels driven into the ground or more commonly bolted to a solid concrete slab?? Either way you will get a very decent Ra value directly from driven steels or via Ufer earthing of the slab's re-bar arrangement.

There's a tip you can give your mate, to bring out a short length of re-bar from any slab work they do, to facilitate the buildings earthing system!!. ...Costs pennies!!!

Were the steels driven into the ground or more commonly bolted to a solid concrete slab?? Either way you will get a very decent Ra value directly from driven steels or via Ufer earthing of the slab's re-bar arrangement.

There's a tip you can give your mate, to bring out a short length of re-bar from any slab work they do, to facilitate the buildings earthing system!!. ...Costs pennies!!!

Directly set into concrete, the rebar tip is definately a good one though!

What type of cable / containment / fittings are you thinking of using as it will be possibly one of the most aggressive environments you can find on a farm ?
Also bear in mind that if it is a static version then you will only be allowed to export PME if the concrete base is suitable .

Although you will probably never match the Ra provided by the the metal skids if it is movable , i would strongly suggest that a stake is also provided , as there is no way of telling what the circumstances maybe in 15 or so months time after it has moved to a different part of the field ready for a fresh batch of hens .
You will also ( if the movable version ) have to look at maybe a commando type plug and socket arrangement to facilitate in a more user friendly system when the move comes !

Reply to poultry steel sheds in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net