Discuss power tools when starting out in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

The Flint

Just starting out and looking for first power tools. Do I go 10.8v drill driver/ impact drivers from usual suspects or say 18v equivalents (or 22v if hilti).Wonder if they will do same job as 10.8v and more ie going into stone/brick work. If higher power Will I still need a hammer drill as well? Thanks

combi drill go for 18V. then you'll deffo need a sds. whether you go for cordless , 110V , or 240V is up to you.

any drilling into stone/brick your best off with a 230/110 hammer drill, too much with a cordless will burn your motor out quickly, and id only recommend 18v battery drivers.

Hello mate if you get a 18v or 14.4 v and a 24v hammer drill that should easily cover everything you will come across

i would never rely on a cordless sds if i has to drill through walls. slow, lacking power, and go flat after so little drilling.

Slotted Drive System

and as Tel said, I'd stick with 110/240v

personally I have a 110v Hilti and its great.not new when I got it years ago and still soldiering on

Ok so if I got 14.4/18v makita/bosch type twin set drill driver impact driver for run of mill stuff and a wired SDS for chasing, stone concrete etc i should have all bases covered?

I've always used 18v drill impact and sds and 110v for big stuff but I just bought 10.8 dewalt drill and impact And I don't think my 18v will get used now great kit

I agree.ive always got away with 18v combi for most things but if you are going through exterior walls then you definitely need mains sds.ive also just got the 10.8 dewalt kit.Been impressed by it so far.

36v sds does come in handy for the outdoor work and light drilling,mine has had plenty of use,not cheap though.some good deals online for combi drill/drivers 14.4v or 18v,but if you do get battery ones try and stretch the budget to litium-ion the batteries last far longer and dont have a problem with memory effect as you do with ni-cad,that reminds me both my dewalt batteries are chuffed,may as well buy a new drill more cost effective.

I have to agree with everyone regarding the 10.8 dewalt set. It is brilliant. I chose the set due to everyone else having the Makita equivalent, the Dewalts had a slightly bigger battery plus all my other gear is Dewalt. I cannot fault Dewalt gear although i get mocked alot by people saying it is just Black and Decker inside but i have only had one issue and that is the trigger going in one of my 18v combi drills, however it is 6 years old and gets used and abused nearly everyday

Quick question extending from this post. What is the difference between a drill driver and hammer/combi drill. Looking at 18v cordless range and seems you can get an impact driver/dell driver pack and impact/hammer drill pack? Any advantages with one over the other?

drill driver would be used for wood/metal/screwing a hammer combi would be used for wood/metal/screwing and also hammer mode for masonry

personally even tho my drill is a combi i would hardly ever use the hammer mode over the sds hammer

also i dont agree with tels earlier comment about cordless sds i think it depends on the drill you buy and the quality, a decent cordless sds can last all day and have decent power

also i dont agree with tels earlier comment about cordless sds i think it depends on the drill you buy and the quality, a decent cordless sds can last all day and have decent power

it wasn't just Tel that said that. a couple of others agreed with his comment, including me

Reply to power tools when starting out in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net