Discuss Pricing for spot lights ? Am I too high ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey all , customer rang last night, full house tripping .. can I come out ( after hours ) ... Got there for 6pm .. ran tests and discovered a dead short on the upstairs lights ... Went in to attic to discover what I can only describe as SPEAKER CABLE wiring up a lighting circuit consisting of 6 downlighters ... I've priced to replace the 6 spots (dimmable) and new dimmer switch .. and a further 2 hours of investigation around the house ... As I can imagine there's more of this cable knocking around .. the customer has said price is too high... Just wandered what you guys would have priced ?

It would depend on whether it was a straight swap out or whether you need to resize the downlight holes... maybe a couple of hours for the downlights and then a couple of hours poking around. So half a day £120-£150 plus materials.

And, you might like to look at getting into The Electricians Arms... a private section for those of us who are in the trade where we can be a bit more open when discussing pricing etc.

Supplying and fitting the lights and new dimmer roughly £300 all in , altering / replacing damaged cabling and some time poking around the loft maybe another £50-£100 for an hour and a bit.
that looks spoton from where I'm drinking sitting.

That's exactly what I've charged ... £300 all in ... Inc poking around for an hour ..
just tell him that's your price. if he wants to get a cheap quote make sure he's got fire insurance up to date. he can get a meerkat toy if he takes out a new policy. i just waiting for sleepy Oleg after taking out van insuranc for £230. my renewal with present insurer was £430.

It would depend on whether it was a straight swap out or whether you need to resize the downlight holes... maybe a couple of hours for the downlights and then a couple of hours poking around. So half a day £120-£150 plus materials.

And, you might like to look at getting into The Electricians Arms... a private section for those of us who are in the trade where we can be a bit more open when discussing pricing etc.
How to go about joining ?

You turned up pronto to an 'out of the blue' call out...and pulled 'em out of the mire.
The wiring is obviously in a dangerous state, caused by rubbish DIY.
I can't see your price being extortionate.
Tell 'em they can p*** off, and wait for an accident to happen.
Don't forget to charge them a hundred quid for the call out, with a danger letter.

Reply to Pricing for spot lights ? Am I too high ? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net