Discuss process of studying to HNC in electrical electronic engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

A

andy73

hit 40 need a different direction
wondering what i would need from scratch to do a HNC in electrical,electronic engineering
was more electrical installation as an apprentice time served
now in more engineering role feel i need something on paper these days also due to shift work have a lot of time to study
hence HNC idea
do i start at btec level 3 and work my way through if so reccommended courses and any books or help greatly appreciated
sorry for long winded post but always good to get all the details across.also distance learning more beneficial as like i said before due to shift work wouldn't be able to get to college regularly
any help,tips appreciated
rant over
cheers

What do you want to do ultimately?
Electrical, and electronics are totally different areas to work in.

HND in Building Services is a good thing.
There are a number of Colleges/Uni's that do it, look here for a starter:
City of Bath College - HND Building Services Engineering

HNC would not be my route - it is at a lower level than the HND, and though it gives you more knowledge than currently, there is always that nagging feeling that for another year, you could have got the next level up, the HND.

If just electrical, then C&G 2394, and the full courses from FIA on fire alarms and emergency lighting.

I have been working in a role for about 8 years now more electrical engineering with regards to automatic equipment,maintenance,type of thing but not had to do any real qualification in this field,feel the need to add this to my list so I am not working on experience alone if that makes sense

I have been working in a role for about 8 years now more electrical engineering with regards to automatic equipment,maintenance,type of thing but not had to do any real qualification in this field,feel the need to add this to my list so I am not working on experience alone if that makes sense

It makes perfect sense!!

There used to be a choice of emphasis on electrical or electronic HNC or HND (although you cover both which ever emphasis was chosen) i don't know if that's still the case or not?

First things first, start doing some research on what's available and from where that suits your situation....

Electrical /electronic engineering seems to be the way for me presently and in the future,but will I be accepted on hnc straight away or better off doing bTec leading up to it is more my quandary
As said before this has to be distance learning as my shift pattern is random.any help on which hnc,books of study would be greatly welcomed

Electrical /electronic engineering seems to be the way for me presently and in the future,but will I be accepted on hnc straight away or better off doing bTec leading up to it is more my quandary
As said before this has to be distance learning as my shift pattern is random.any help on which hnc,books of study would be greatly welcomed

I can't give you up to date data on the relevant books etc, but you will need a good level of math to complete either the HNC or HND courses. You can enroll directly for either course, some adult training centres/colleges may ask you to sit a math test if you can't provide suitable proof/qualification of your current math status....

Hi AndyI was in exactly your position a while ago. The college I went to persuaded me to do the ONC prior to the HNC. On completion I can safely say that there was no way of my doing the HNC straight off without the ONC. My previous quals were the standard 236 pt 1&2 and the old "C" cert (is it still around?) all part of JIB apprenticeship. The maths were far harder than what was required of the sparks quals, the ONC included. I am really happy that I went down the HNC road as it opened a lot of doors and I really enjoyed the course. If you do decide to go ahead with the course I recommend that you get a copy of: "Maths: A Student's Survival Guide" by Jenny Olivea few months prior to your course starting, its surprisingly easy going. This book helped me loads (you maths may be better than mine was).GOOD LUCK with your endeavours.

thanks babylonsburning,looked for distance learning with regards to ONC can't seem to find any nearest i have found was a BTEC level 3 electrical engineering.will look into getting that book
sorry not replied went back to proper basics and sat gcse maths just to see how rusty i was popped out with an A so can't be that bad
any other advice greatly appreciated
cheers again

i have recently started an HNC in electrical & electronic engineering with teeside university. had to complete a maths bridging module. works out about 4000 all in, distance learning and all online

Reply to process of studying to HNC in electrical electronic engineering in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net