Discuss Question on number of points served in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

dogwind

Hi could anyone tell me the correct way to count the number of points served when doing inspection tests, over the years i have seen electricians count lighting circuit points different ways, some have said to just count the light fittings but not the switches eg a single fitting with 2 way light switches would be counted as 1 point,(i would count that as 3) i have also come across the same sort of thing in a kitchen where a switch above worktop would be switching a socket below (for washing machine ect) again i would count this as 2 points as that is 2 connections which i would check on a pir test. Thanks for looking at my thread.

Here we go again,this my friend is a regular topic
icon7.png

Double socket is 1 point
A light with --- many switches as you care to include is 1 point

A point, is a point of utilisation,therefore a switch above a worktop and a socket below is, you guessed it,1 point

Anyway thats my opinion and I will be sticking to it

What difference does it really make,the IEE dont include this on the proper paperwork,its just Niceic and the like making up boxes for you to fill

it's 1 point for a light even if its got 50 switches, and 1 point for an appliance socket. disregard switches etc. the key words are point of utilisation. i.e. a FCU feeding a socket is only i point of utilisation as you can't take another load off the FCU. hope that's clear enougth.

On a recent NIC inspection we were told we should be counting light switchs/isolation switchs as a point, i always did anyway, after all it is a point of electricity within the installation isnt it?

Last edited by a moderator:
counting lights only not switches,2g skt counts 2,switch spur ctrl skt counts 2,good aint it,what happens when u forget counting,always disagree wiv putting the total of points down,especially on a pit report, Cheers bab ta ra.

Thanks for all your replies, i think the best way is the cowboy way, a drive by inspection and fill the forms out at home, i think i could write on the forms to touch the live bus bars daily with wet finger and the part P council inspectors would still sign the forms off as passed :)

I always was told and always have classed a double skt as 2 and have never counted light sw, although i have just started writing down like this 'l=4 s=6' on the form to show 4 light point and 6 switches

Hmm. A double socket is one electrical accessory, but you do plug the tester into both holes.
I've only ever found one that totally failed one side but not the other - and learnt that it was due to someone repeatedly jamming a screwdriver in the earth hole to open the shutter for a 2-pin plug.
They'd splayed the earth contacts so they never touched the earth pin of a proper BS1363 plug.

The more common discrepancies are dealt with by my rough plug or fan heater to clean the switches by switching on/off under full load.

Simon.

Last edited by a moderator:
personally, i class a double socket as 1 point. it's 1 point of termination, 1 accessory. OK it's got 2 outlets, but then so has a single socket with a splitter plugged in, or an extension lead. (tin hat on)

socket be it 1g 2g 3g is 1point light circuits take 1point per light fitting even if its got 20 lamps per fitting fcu feeding 1 socket under worktop is 1 point
Although control circuit feeding clock >contactors I tend to take total number of contactors
Iv also had to put LIM a couple of times due to circuit feeding hidden lighting at height and specialy on reception,office sockets where there are filing cabinets,built in equipment covering outlets

Reply to Question on number of points served in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net