Discuss Question regarding changing Consumer Unit for a larger one in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jedbenson

Hi there,

Could i possible get someones views on this?

Weve had a new kitchen installed during which we decided that we would have an induction hob.

when we bought the hob they told us it would need to be on its own RCD in the same way our existing cooker was. So before the new units were fitted the put an additional 6mm cable thorugh connected to a new cooker switch and then cooker connection unit.

Also at the same time we buried this wire into the wall (concrete) fixed steel shielding plate over it and replastered. We also did the same for 2 other surface mounted cable runs and changed a couple of sockets on that wall from surface mounted ones.

Now heres where im told i now have a problem. I was going to get some quotes to have a new larger consumer unit installed and the new feed to the hob connected up to that at the same time.

Im now told by a couple of people i know that it cant be done and still confirm to part p regulations?

basically if i ask an electritian to change the consumer unit i will end up having to rip the kitchen out so he can put new wires in! is this true?

I would value some opinions on this before i go asking for quotes as i dont really want to get ripped off at all. It seems minor weve only really put a new wire in at the end of the day.

thanks

Part of the wiring of a circuit,is the method of installation of the cable.its routing and so forth
The person who installs the cable will decide the size and type of cable required depending on the load and the method of installation
Different installation methods and length of cable run will give different current carrying capacities

In order for the above to be met,the person installing should be the person notifying the work for building regulations purposes,if he is registered as a competent person
If he is not registered then building control has to be informed of the intended work,before it starts and a fee payable to them

You have not followed this procedure,so whoever carries out the rest of the work will have to adopt your installation work as if it was done by himself,in order to fiddle the procedure

But in reality,as long as the cable you have installed is the correct size and in zones etc,somebody will continue with your install without hopefully starting anew,
Get the quotes for the new consumer unit and explain what you have already done,you will get better resolution if you are clear on the installation method

Unfortunately this nonesense part p is not made known to the general public
Yopu have not followed procedures,but its possibly not your worst fears

By the way,a cooker does not have to have a seperate rcd,it has to have a dedicated circuit if over 3KW

Any electrician who has a problem with connecting up that circuit during a CU change is a **** ( unless that circuit takes the current demand over the supply current). IMO

Reply to Question regarding changing Consumer Unit for a larger one in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net