Search the forum,

Discuss Quick Meter Question. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SSE

-
Reaction score
Property has an old fuse board with 16mm tails is to be replaced with a new cu with 100A switch & 25mm tails, the main fuse is a 1361 100A fuse. The meter is only rated 80A. Do I just fone the local authority (S.S.E) to put in a 100A meter?

I don't know the fuse was already in it. The new board is 100A switch as there's a new shower circuit been put in.

Just because the main switch is 100a doesnt mean you need to change the meter. The rating on the switch is to show its capable of switching 100a safely without welding itself closed/open. As for the shower, check diversity... (appendix 1 of the on site guide)..

New 25mm tails from meter to new consumer unit, but what about the tails from the main cut out to the meter ? Still gonna be 16mm ? Protected by 100A main cut out fuse ? Main cut out to meter needs to be 25mm or fuse needs to be smaller, 60A.Neither of which can be (legally) done by us sparkies.

Just because the main switch is 100a doesnt mean you need to change the meter. The rating on the switch is to show its capable of switching 100a safely without welding itself closed/open. As for the shower, check diversity... (appendix 1 of the on site guide)..

The consumer unit was bought by the person who's property it was, I had to no say in it. They said that the cu with the 100A switch was the only one available with the required amount of ways. I just assumed seeing as the main fuse is 100A & meter tails are 25mm (thought they were 16mm but just text to confirm & they are already 25mm, I must have picked him up wrong) that the meter would have to be rated the same?

New 25mm tails from meter to new consumer unit, but what about the tails from the main cut out to the meter ? Still gonna be 16mm ? Protected by 100A main cut out fuse ? Main cut out to meter needs to be 25mm or fuse needs to be smaller, 60A.Neither of which can be (legally) done by us sparkies.

25mm tails from cut out to meter & then meter to cu.

Reply to Quick Meter Question. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net