Discuss R,Y,B or L1,L2,L3 in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Status
Not open for further replies.

rainstorm

EF Member
Hi all,

got an EICR to compile and I'm just wondering whether I should be using L1,2 and 3 on schedule for identifying circuits or just stick with R,Y and B since it has been marked up like that on existing schedules etc?

Amp David

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Surely its got to be L1L2L3 no to confirm to regs etc.

Also makes it easier if you have mixed wiring colours to contend with

OP
rainstorm

rainstorm

EF Member
Just thinking it might be a bit confusing with sockets and switches marked up the old way, and schedule marked up the new?

telectrix

Disrespected Scouser
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
i'm with trev on this one. label with both. i call it BS and AS (before stupidity and after stupidity)

johnboy6083

Band Member
To be honest, it depends on what's there for me. If its an old DB, then I will keep the RYB designations, but if it's new then I use L1, L2 L3 with the way number in front

G

Guest55

Why not use both?
because the current bs7671 no-longer recognises old colours for phase indentification.
And for an eicr i'd want to be using the correct terminology to show that i know what i'm doing.

trev

Regular EF Member
But by using both you're complying with current regs and making it idiot proof. You could get someone coming in after you at some point who sees the coloured lines and has a head scratch wondering how the colours equate to L1 L2 etc.

G

Guest55

Well thats why you use the dual wiring colour sticker at the DB.
But you should still be recording 17th edition terminology in the report.
RYB went out in 2006 , time to move on :)

Risteard

Respected Member
Electrician's Arms
Solar Guru
In fairness I don't think identification of ways comes under BS 7671 terminology. Certainly for new work I'd be using L1/L2/L3 but as johnboy says I might be reluctant to alter what is already marked up as R/Y/B. It may cause more confusion than it eradicates.

OP
rainstorm

rainstorm

EF Member
Thanks for replies, think the way to go might be to use L1,2,3 on report and mention in "observations" that switches etc have been labelled R,Y,B.
:D

Paul.M

Regular EF Member
I would go with Trev on this one.

You could also put in the recommendations that R = L1, Y = L2 and B = L3 just so the new wave of sparkys don't confuse blue with neutral. As above, idiot proof.

ipf

Mentor
Electrician's Arms
Trainee Access
Well thats why you use the dual wiring colour sticker at the DB.
But you should still be recording 17th edition terminology in the report.
RYB went out in 2006 , time to move on :)
So what do you do if you're working on one circuit of an existing 18w board ......
R12, Y12, B12.....13L1, 13L2, 13L3.....R14, Y14,B14. Your cert schedule has to match the db, surely. Don't make it more confusing. With Trev, best of both worlds.

Blowcat

Regular EF Member
You should be using L1 L2 L3 for everything, what would you do if your sub-main cable was an old red phase supply that feeds a new coloured DB.

G

Guest55

So what do you do if you're working on one circuit of an existing 18w board ......
R12, Y12, B12.....13L1, 13L2, 13L3.....R14, Y14,B14. Your cert schedule has to match the db, surely. Don't make it more confusing. With Trev, best of both worlds.
Dont make it more confusing ? its not confusing at all if everyone follows the current guidelines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Electrician Talk