Discuss Radial Circuit Cable Length in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

No it shouldn't be on a 32A protective device.
Many thanks for the confirmation, I did ask him to put a 20 amp MCB in instead but he was adamant that there was nothing wrong with using a 32 amp MCB & when asked about the cable running in conduit he said those are guidelines only & not rules.

Also because not all of the run was in conduit these "guidelines" do not apply.

Am I correct in saying that this is not the case?

Last edited:
Many thanks for the confirmation, I did ask him to put a 20 amp MCB in instead be he was adamant that there was nothing wrong with using a 32 amp MCB & when asked about the cable running in conduit he said those are guidelines only & not rules.

Also because not all of the run was in conduit these "guidelines" do not apply.

Am I correct in saying that this is not the case?
He is incorrect.

He is incorrect.
He is incorrect. We cannot pick and choose which regulations we want to comply with or not. The cable rating for 4mm2 in conduit is at best 30 amps. If grouping is also a factor then it's even less.
So a 20 or 25 amp MCB is needed.

Cannot thank you all enough for your time & clear concise information you have provided.

I can now in confidence get the electrician back to install a 20 amp MCB.

My Wylex consumer unit has NSB model MCB's installed which I gather are no longer manufactured by Wylex.

The current generation MCB's that Wylex manufacture the NHX range does not fit into my consumer unit as you cannot reinstall the front cover due to the new range not lining up with the hole in the front cover that the MCB's stick through.

I see from a quick Google that Wylex did manufacture a 25 amp NSB MCB but they seem to be are rare as hens teeth.

I guess we will just have to install a 20 amp & see how we go.

Thanks again

Adam

I have never seen a 25A NHB device however they do seem to have existed. NHX devices are not compatible with NSB enclosures.

Audio amps really do not use anything like the nameplate power rating under all normal operating conditions, as mentioned above. If they did, and much of the power was converted into sound, you would be completely deaf and your Buttkicker would cause bits of your house to disintegrate. Thankfully the transducers are very inefficient, so most of the power is converted into heat. If your amps used nameplate consumption, the speaker cabinets would catch fire.

Typical audio program material is, as you are aware, very peaky, with significant consumption only going on for one or two percent of the time. You mention not being able to measure the instantaneous peak current with a clamp meter; if the peaks are too short to measure, they are too short to have any significant heating effect on the cables (or tripping effect on the MCB). With linear amplifiers the voltage drop incurred by the peak loading is important as it can cause the internal DC rails to sag, but with wide-range input Class-D (switched-mode) amps it is immaterial as they will work right down to 120V i.e. even 50% drop won't affect their operation. What matters to the cable and circuit rating is the average over the thermal time-constant of the OCPD and cable, and the figures can be surprisingly low.

Examples:
Quad 520 (normal linear HiFi amp) playing into KEF Concertos, excessive volume for normal listening at my workbench, audible from across the car park. Average consumption 0.3A. Yes, one third of an amp.

University rag week procession sound float. Basically a 40-foot artic with the combined mobile sound systems of three major universities' ents departments lined up along the side, probably 12 or more 18" subs. Attracted a police intervention within 5 minutes of being tested at 'low volume.' Amp racks included four Amcron Macro-Tech 2401s, probably six Yamaha 300+300W amps etc. Idling 12A, workable levels 18A, instantaneous peak about 30A (We reckoned to get away with a 2.5kW genny but the voltage regulation wasn't good enough because of the low power factor of an audio amp idling, I think we used a 5kW in the end)

These examples refer to linear amps. Class-D amps are significantly more efficient, and have higher power factor, so will use less current for a given SPL. I too will be interested to hear what kind of current you end up using...

Mmmm KEF Concertos - B139 bass driver. Lovely.

I had some pro 9TL hand built transmission line speakers a few years ago with those in. Sounded amazing.

Whilst he was installing the radial circuit that I created this thread about he also rewired one of the lighting circuits as there was no earthing due to the wiring being part of the installation when the house was built in the 50's.

I would also like your opinions on how this was done, I guess I would be best to create another thread to talk about this?

If so what forum would be best to post this subject in?

Thanks

Adam

Reply to Radial Circuit Cable Length in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net