Discuss RCBO to fit an old Wylex TPN D.B in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hang on Tony, There have been no scare tactics here!? I was trained under 16th edition Regs 15 years ago. This remedial action has been ordered by one of the largest national care companies off the back of a recent EICR for insurance purposes. I joined this forum to help and be helped fellow electricians not to be attacked by know it alls with too much time on their hands who jump on the offensive without taking into full account the situation at hand. So unless you ve got something helpful to add, dont add.

With the absence of RCD protection to most of the circuits in question the installation does not comply with current BS7671 2008 (17th edition) as amended. To say the installation does not require the remedial action because it complies with regs in force at the time of installation is a bit strange? If we applied that logic to all EICRs there would be no such thing as remedial action?

I made the statement with this in mind as I think others did.

Fair enough. I can see how my poor wording and lack of thought in that comment could have be misconstrued and I apologize, but knowing now what you do about the situation do you not think your comment was a little catty and unfounded, aside from being completely off piste from the original reason I started this thread? Your obviously a time served member.. and i respect that, but I do think its a shame that less experienced electricians come on here for help and have to put up with put downs and snide comments like that. We're all learning Tony all the time, even you.

I don't propose to underwrite your findings...So its your call.
However, things to look for IMO, would be:

Did the Nursing Home electrics comply when it was first installed?

Has any work or deterioration taken place between the time it was first installed and the time you did the EICR?

What do the local licensing body and building control say about electrical installations in Nursing homes?

More on EICRs

Its derisive of BS7671 to state that installations are non-retrospective, but at the same time are measured against the current standards. So any installation that is not strictly compliant with the latest edition of the regs will be non-compliant.

Its a question of whether or not its safe.

But that won't help if your local licensing body states it must comply with the current regs.

Last edited:
Thanks akbar. Nice to see that someone wants to be helpful. I have since spoken with the head office and head of maintenance for my client and apparently their insurance company is stipulating evidence of a program of ongoing electrical updating and compliance works throughout all of their homes. So although I agree that the regs are most certainly retrospective it does not apply to this particular instance. So..... now we ve cleared that up, back to my original question; Does anybody know of an RCBO that will fit a Metal clad Wylex dist board in place of a Wylex BS3871 Type 2 HB MCB?

Thanks akbar. Nice to see that someone wants to be helpful. I have since spoken with the head office and head of maintenance for my client and apparently their insurance company is stipulating evidence of a program of ongoing electrical updating and compliance works throughout all of their homes. So although I agree that the regs are most certainly retrospective it does not apply to this particular instance. So..... now we ve cleared that up, back to my original question; Does anybody know of an RCBO that will fit a Metal clad Wylex dist board in place of a Wylex BS3871 Type 2 HB MCB?

regs are most certainly retrospective

I think you mean 'non-retrospective?

I think you have your answer in that a continual process of upgrading is required. I think you'll have to decide at what point each property needs upgrading.

As far as finding RCBOs for the open busbar system employed with Wylex and Crabree, I think you are out of luck since BS 3871 and that type of busbar system was made obsolete back in 1992 and RCBOs didn't come on line, so to speak, until the beginning of 2000, all dates are approximate.

You'll also find that the latest ed of the regs no longer include this BS specification in its appendix.

Reply to RCBO to fit an old Wylex TPN D.B in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net