Discuss Rcbo tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Without being there and being able to test and inspect, I can't say why it happened, but what I can say is you most definitely should not be removing the main earth with the power on.
Just to add a little to @SparkyChick

if you remove the main earth cable whilst the board is energised, it is possible under some circumstances (not unlikley) that the earth bar and any earthed metal fittings in the property become LIVE at any voltage up to the incoming phase voltage.

it puts a black mark on your reputation if the homeowner drops dead in the shower because you have removed the earth cable, and I expect the paperwork would be a nightmare.

1) Very bad practice to disconnect the main earth without isolating the supply
2) As @Vortigern asks, it might be a RCBO with a "functional" earth for this sort if fault (I think it is really for open N, but hey-ho, both lead to N-E volts).
3) There may be dodgy insulation somewhere and allowing the CPCs to float was enough to cause leakage somewhere.

@Vortigern has made a very valid point

nowhere in the original post did it say that the main isolator was still energised.

both myself and others have in our own minds assumed that it is energised because the fault described would in most circumstances require the power to be on for it to manifest itself.

@Sonia Norman
if indeed you are testing Ze with the main isolator switched on, I hope you have learnt something from the posts.

if in fact the main isolator was off then there is something unusual going on there, possibly to do with a current flow between N and earth via the rcbo fly lead .

@ everyone else, remember that we are all human and don’t get everything right all the time.
I am sure if we look back at our own mistakes and failures, the odd one will make us cringe.

I for one can look back at a couple of events that didn’t go horribly wrong, more due to good fortune than perfect methodical working practices.

nowhere in the original post did it say that the main isolator was still energised.

both myself and others have in our own minds assumed that it is energised because the fault described would in most circumstances require the power to be on for it to manifest itself.
Very true, I had made the assumption it was still energised. There might have been something else allowing the RCBO to trip even though the main power was isolated, though in itself that is worrying!

@Vortigern has made a very valid point

@Sonia Norman
if indeed you are testing Ze with the main isolator switched on, I hope you have learnt something from the posts.

if in fact the main isolator was off then there is something unusual going on there, possibly to do with a current flow between N and earth via the rcbo fly lead .

@ everyone else, remember that we are all human and don’t get everything right all the time.
I am sure if we look back at our own mistakes and failures, the odd one will make us cringe.

I for one can look back at a couple of events that didn’t go horribly wrong, more due to good fortune than perfect methodical working practices.

Reply to Rcbo tripping in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net