Discuss Rcd tripping on new hot tub circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I'm having a problem with the CU rcd tripping out, I have installed a feed outside to my daughters hot tub using 6mm cable about 14mts in length going to a metal clad dis board and from there via a 32A mcb to a 32A switched socket, insulation is good, no damp, but when I connected up the tub the rcd tripped, I removed the connections and connected a socket to connect a kettle as a test load everytime the kettle was turned on the rcd tripped, Ideas please tia

Is it a single 30mA RCD for the whole house?

A bit more detail would help. It might be just the leakage of the tub is accumulating too much for the RCD. Do you have a clamp ammeter (that can measure down to mA) you could check the leakage with by clamping both tails?

It could be a fault in the hot tub, given it holds out on a kettle. Can you IR test the tub at 250V (just in case electronically switched) to check that L+N to E is showing tens of Mohm?

Another possibility is a N-E short somewhere (not necessarily on the new circuit). If you are on a TN-C-S supply the origin N-E voltage is practically zero so typically that only shows up if you have loads of tens of amps or more. It might be the kettle at ~10A is not enough to cause enough N-E current to divert, but the tub coming on pump and heaters at 30A (or more, if motor surge is simultaneous, etc) is enough to reach threshold.

If you suspect a N-E short then switch off the main supply (so both L & N isolated at the origin) and do a global IR taking L+N to E, maybe at some convenient socket (having made sure RCD reset and socket switched on!).

Again 250V is safer to play with, but L+N to E should always be safe to test at 500V (unlike L-N on low power electronics where 250V is max to try just in case).

It could be a fault in the hot tub, given it holds out on a kettle. Can you IR test the tub at 250V (just in case electronically switched) to check that L+N to E is showing tens of Mohm?

Another possibility is a N-E short somewhere (not necessarily on the new circuit). If you are on a TN-C-S supply the origin N-E voltage is practically zero so typically that only shows up if you have loads of tens of amps or more. It might be the kettle at ~10A is not enough to cause enough N-E current to divert, but the tub coming on pump and heaters at 30A (or more, if motor surge is simultaneous, etc) is enough to reach threshold.
It trips on the kettle as well and that is 3kW

could it be a N-E fault on a completely different circuit, so that when a large load is applied on the new circuit, the RCD sees imbalance . had it before where a N-E fault in a shower switch tripped the RCD that fed the other half of a dual RCD board. time for an electrician methinks.

Reply to Rcd tripping on new hot tub circuit in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net