• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
SuperlecDirect - ElectriciansForums.net Electrical Suppliers
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Replace a Switch with an Outlet in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Amaranth

DIY
Reaction score
I'm a DIYer and first time poster. I've got a three-way switch and light fixture in my garage as shown in the attached .pdf. I want to replace the downstream switch with an always-on outlet. (Or I can change the single-gang box to a double-gang and just add an outlet next to the switch.). I've tried capping off the black wire and attaching the red and white wires to the outlet but when I did my GT-10 tester said I had a hot & ground reversal error in the first case and an open ground error in the second case. And in both cases the remaining switch did not turn on the light. I appreciate any help anyone can offer.

Attachments

• Circuit.pdf
    992.5 KB · Views: 6

Lister1987

-
Trainee
Esteemed
Reaction score
Red Black and White tells me non-uk. What are you looking to plug into the outlet?

Certainly over here you could (although not best practice) feed a lighting circuit off a socket circuit and fused connection unit - The FCU would blow before the socket circuit breaker but I don't believe it has ever been done the other way around as most lighting circuits here are 6A and our appliances are either on a radial (10,16,20) or a ring (32).

I can't see it being permitted what you're wanting to do as you would be overloading your lighting circuit.

Amaranth

DIY
Reaction score
Red Black and White tells me non-uk. What are you looking to plug into the outlet?

Certainly over here you could (although not best practice) feed a lighting circuit off a socket circuit and fused connection unit - The FCU would blow before the socket circuit breaker but I don't believe it has ever been done the other way around as most lighting circuits here are 6A and our appliances are either on a radial (10,16,20) or a ring (32).

I can't see it being permitted what you're wanting to do as you would be overloading your lighting circuit.
Yes, non-UK. South Carolina, to be specific. It's a 20A circuit, and I want the outlet to power a stand-up freezer. I've done some more thinking about this and I bet I'll need to re-wire the light fixture and probably the remaining switch. And in fact, as I was writing this while leafing through a wiring book I came across the exact circuit map for my configuration. I think I'll be in good shape. If things go awry tomorrow I'll post another note.

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
No. OP isn’t UK based, so wait for @Megawatt to read.

AFAIK, in America, outlets and lighting can share a 15A radial supply, so it should be possible.
The diagram unfortunately doesn’t have enough cores.
The far switch needs 3 cores to operate the 3 way switching, plus a neutral for the outlet, plus the ground wire. 5 in total.

By making the first switch a simple 2 way, you get a spare core to the light can be hot, the conductors from the light to far end switch can be reconfigured to give a hot, neutral, ground and an unconnected spare core.

Reply to Replace a Switch with an Outlet in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net