• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.
Aico 3000 Range
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members

Discuss Replacing Light Switch for a Closet Light. in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Here is a picture of the original setup.
closet2.jpgcloset2.jpg

I see one blue wire and one black wire.

Now, How would I about wiring this new Switch.

closetswitch.jpg

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
it appears that the new switch is 2 way. at a guess, i'd think black to black, brown to blue, block off grey. green is earth. but as it's american, i can only guess.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
It's a smart switch. Says "Neutral Wire required"... what is the worst that can happen if I do what you said? I would have to block off green as well. I don't see a green in there.

telectrix

-
Mentor
Arms
Esteemed
on the photo, i see brown, black, grey, and green. ( or is the green blue. it's sort of turqouise in pic.),

More of a "jade"...but my eye ain't wot it used to be...although it's not a patch on the other one...well, actually, it is...

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
Here is a picture of the original setup.
View attachment 51723View attachment 51723

I see one blue wire and one black wire.

Now, How would I about wiring this new Switch.

View attachment 51724

Any Help would be greatly appreciated!!
You can’t install this switch without hiring an electrician to pull you a neutral but new code change in 2017 on new installation you have to pull a neutral to all light switches just for this Reason
Post automatically merged:

it appears that the new switch is 2 way. at a guess, i'd think black to black, brown to blue, block off grey. green is earth. but as it's american, i can only guess.
Tel the colors are black, red, white and green. The black or hot goes to black and the red goes to the light and you know the other wires. White is allways neutral unless marked with black tape where y’all use sleeves

Last edited:

Megawatt

-
Arms
Advent Win
It's a smart switch. Says "Neutral Wire required"... what is the worst that can happen if I do what you said? I would have to block off green as well. I don't see a green in there.
2k I looked at your picture and I see a white wire in the opening in the wall and that is your neutral black to black white to white blue to the red and since there appears to be no ground so just tape it up please tell me your not going to hook this up if you are not an electrician

Reply to Replacing Light Switch for a Closet Light. in the American Professional Electrical Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Aico Carbon Monoxide Detectors
This official sponsor may provide discounts for members
Top Bottom