Discuss Retraining as electrician - EAL or C&G? Prospective employers opinions on course-trained elecs? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm thinking of retraining as an electrician, but I'm weighing up my options and need decent advice from experienced electricians.

Bit of background:

1 - Just turned 27

2 - Currently working as a chemical engineer - Only way to progress my career is to move country to country now.

3 - Moving is not an option for me anymore - I have a family + a business that is established in my local area (Not something I can just up sticks and take).

4 - Business is running fine without me, so I have way more time now - I wanted to try this before I pick up even more commitments.

5 - Ultimately my aim is to open a second business, but I need the correct experience.

My plans:

Knowing something in theory is totally different to knowing it practically, so I would never 'just' do a course.

1 - Study my Level 2 and 3, along the way volunteering and scraping together as much work as I possibly can in order to complete the NVQ and AM2.

2 - Study my level 2, find work as an electricians mate (Or related) and then continue with the rest of my course before hitting the NVQ & AM2.

I'm weighing up courses with the following:

1 - C&G

2 - EAL

I'm probably too old for an apprenticeship, even if I do feel its the better route. Since my options are already limited, I need to be more picky.

Questions: Course trained electricians seem to get a bit of stick from people who favour an apprenticeship. Opinions shouldn't matter, but that's stupid thinking as opinions always matter so I need to ask this anyway:

1 - Of EAL and C&G, which one do you feel is superior content provider/held in higher esteem with employers?

2 - If you were a prospective employer and your only option was to hire a course trained electrician, would you lean towards an EAL or C&G trained electrician (Providing that they had achieved work experience sufficient to pass their NVQ etc)?

In total, I'm looking at 2/3 years of course directed learning, but I'll be conservative and say I probably wouldn't be qualified for NVQ & AM2 until I'm in my early 30s say. With that in mind, any direction and help would be really appreciated.

Cheers,

Josh

both qualifications are recognised, bit c&G is the more sought after by employers. either way, level 2 and level 3 to get you ready for NVQ and AM2. it's the practical experience that's important.

both qualifications are recognised, bit c&G is the more sought after by employers. either way, level 2 and level 3 to get you ready for NVQ and AM2. it's the practical experience that's important.
Thanks for taking the time telectrix - I'm hearing similar things about c&g, it was as I'd suspected anyway but thank you for confirming. There is only one provider of the C&G near me (tradeskills4U), all others are EAL so I needed some confirmation prior to making a decision

Thanks for taking the time telectrix - I'm hearing similar things about c&g, it was as I'd suspected anyway but thank you for confirming. There is only one provider of the C&G near me (tradeskills4U), all others are EAL so I needed some confirmation prior to making a decision
just don't be tempted to take a short course (5 weeks?) for domestic installer. that would just give you a start into the nightmare world of house bashing. proper electrician's qual.is at least 1 year for level 2, another year for level 3. either day release or 2 evenings a week. try your local college/s for courses.

just don't be tempted to take a short course (5 weeks?) for domestic installer. that would just give you a start into the nightmare world of house bashing. proper electrician's qual.is at least 1 year for level 2, another year for level 3. either day release or 2 evenings a week. try your local college/s for courses.
Oh don't worry, I don't see how you could be qualified after 5 weeks - I've met the equivalent in engineering, it doesn't work. Regs have changed anyway (technically) - seems to be a 2 year minimum level of experience to be registered as competent now so I've no interest in short course.

Tradeskills is 2-3 years, it's the only one that is c&g - all of the colleges near me have ceased their adult electrician courses now or only go to lvl 2, so my options are a little limited. I can volunteer my work for free or try for low level work after my level 2 - the work ex is more important. I did the same for my engineering degree so I've no opposition to the hard graft

Thanks for the guidance on it - I'll try some colleges farther afield and see

45 and recently started a full apprenticeship, so it's possible to do this.

For me it's EAL, for no reason other than the fact that EAL is what's offered at the only local college who consider mature apprentices. C&G is definitely a more widely recognised name, but it shouldn't make any difference once NVQ is attained and AM2-S passed.

It's a big commitment to fully re-train in this way, but if it's something you really want (as opposed to a vague notion) I'd tell you to go for it and take whichever available route is likely to give you the best, and most rounded, training.

Edit: While an apprenticeship isn't the quickest route, it will certainly let you gain experience and your background suggests sufficient qualifications to start at lvl 3. Having looked at other options, it seems as though many insist upon completion of lvl 2 as a prerequisite to starting lvl 3.

45 and recently started a full apprenticeship, so it's possible to do this.

For me it's EAL, for no reason other than the fact that EAL is what's offered at the only local college who consider mature apprentices. C&G is definitely a more widely recognised name, but it shouldn't make any difference once NVQ is attained and AM2-S passed.

It's a big commitment to fully re-train in this way, but if it's something you really want (as opposed to a vague notion) I'd tell you to go for it and take whichever available route is likely to give you the best, and most rounded, training.

Edit: While an apprenticeship isn't the quickest route, it will certainly let you gain experience and your background suggests sufficient qualifications to start at lvl 3. Having looked at other options, it seems as though many insist upon completion of lvl 2 as a prerequisite to starting lvl 3.
Hi Mate

Could I please ask where you applied for your EAL level 2 and 3 ? My local college offer the training but it's full time attendance only, however I need something part time / online as still need to work full time to get the money in to pay the ever increasing bills :(

Thanks
Daz

Hi Mate

Could I please ask where you applied for your EAL level 2 and 3 ? My local college offer the training but it's full time attendance only, however I need something part time / online as still need to work full time to get the money in to pay the ever increasing bills :(

Thanks
Daz

I hassled colleges for three years. Only one local college (in NI) takes adult apprentices and limited places due to covid added an extra year to the wait.

Hi. I hope this is an acceptable question to bolt on to the end of this thread, if not please let me know and I'll remove it.

Basically, my question is - I'm part way through my EAL level 2 (plus working 2 x evenings a week, while I gain experience with a local firm, volunteering two days a week for the time being, while working at my day job the other 4 and a half days). I'm already considering my level 3 for next september, and basically the vibe I've got from various sources is that the C&G is more recognised and established than the EAL. Plus, the college I'm at right now is about 50 minute drive for me, so 1.5 hours there and back twice a week, whereas the college offering the C&G is literally about 15 minute walk down the road (sadly they were fully booked on level 2 for this year and I wasn't able to get a place with them). So basically I'm wondering would it be better to apply for the level 3 C&G close to me for next september, when they open for applications next January, or should I stick with the level 3 EAL at the college and suck up another 3 hours commuting each week for another year, for the EAL which seems less recognised and less respected than the C&G?
I guess the crux of my question is, is it possible to mix and match level 2 EAL with level 3 C&G? For multiple reasons it would be more convenient for me to do so, but I don't want it to count against me at some future point.

@Mike_Rho

These are NVQ qualifications, so it makes no difference whether you train through EAL or C&G. For most people the decision is made on the basis of availability and both options offer the same end result. I'm not sure why you feel EAL training is less well respected, when the end game is an NVQ qualification (regulated by OfQual) and AM2 assessment (administered by NET).

@Mike_Rho

These are NVQ qualifications, so it makes no difference whether you train through EAL or C&G. For most people the decision is made on the basis of availability and both options offer the same end result. I'm not sure why you feel EAL training is less well respected, when the end game is an NVQ qualification (regulated by OfQual) and AM2 assessment (administered by NET).

When I did my 2394 Inspection&Test I was the only one taking the C&G route. The other 8 or so people were doing the EAL. 'Lucky you says the trainer, they all do the open book multi choice , whereas you do that and also the full written exam!'

I think that's the reason some rate the C&G version a bit more highly. Obviously the practical section was the same for both.

I must have done OK though - I passed, but a good few of the ones doing the easier exam failed!

I was told if you do EAL you cant get NICEIC approved, you need to do C&G for NICEIC

@Mike_Rho

When I did my 2394 Inspection&Test I was the only one taking the C&G route. The other 8 or so people were doing the EAL. 'Lucky you says the trainer, they all do the open book multi choice , whereas you do that and also the full written exam!'

I think that's the reason some rate the C&G version a bit more highly. Obviously the practical section was the same for both.

I must have done OK though - I passed, but a good few of the ones doing the easier exam failed!

Was it an easier exam? Multiple choice can be very straigtforward or can absolutely stink. We've done a combination of EAL and C&G exams and EAL have a habit of wording questions to make it appear as though more than one answer is correct, or none at all. I'm absolutely convinced that I've seen a couple of questions were their answer was wrong, but I would be inclined to think that way 😄

I was told if you do EAL you cant get NICEIC approved, you need to do C&G for NICEIC

Seems improbable, don't you think?

There's a reason why I don't accept bold statements from unlikely sources and my cynicism is correct on this occasion. NICEIC provide a list of acceptable qualifications for those wishing to join their scheme, which is available for anyone to view.

Was it an easier exam? Multiple choice can be very straigtforward or can absolutely stink. We've done a combination of EAL and C&G exams and EAL have a habit of wording questions to make it appear as though more than one answer is correct, or none at all. I'm absolutely convinced that I've seen a couple of questions were their answer was wrong, but I would be inclined to think that way 😄

There's a reason why I don't accept bold statements from unlikely sources and my cynicism is correct on this occasion. NICEIC provide a list of acceptable qualifications for those wishing to join their scheme, which is available for anyone to view.

The multiple choice one was easier, but you are absolutely correct in saying that isn't always the case. Especially when it's a well written one where there are answers in them that could catch you out.

Hi thank you for this reply. For some reason I just took that as gospel, can't even remember who told me that now, but its a huge relief to know that I can still eventually get NICEIC registered as I've been told NICEIC is the gold standard in terms of accreditation.

My only remaining question in that case, is whether I could do level 2 EAL and then level 3 with C&G. Reason being, it would save me about 3 hours commuting per week for a year, which is quite a lot of time. Do you think anyone (potential employers / accreditation bodies I suppose) look unfavourably upon me if I had level 2 EAL and level 3 C&G? Or in your opinion, would it be better to stick with EAL and suck up all the extra commuting for a year?

Hi thank you for this reply. For some reason I just took that as gospel, can't even remember who told me that now, but its a huge relief to know that I can still eventually get NICEIC registered as I've been told NICEIC is the gold standard in terms of accreditation.

My only remaining question in that case, is whether I could do level 2 EAL and then level 3 with C&G. Reason being, it would save me about 3 hours commuting per week for a year, which is quite a lot of time. Do you think anyone (potential employers / accreditation bodies I suppose) look unfavourably upon me if I had level 2 EAL and level 3 C&G? Or in your opinion, would it be better to stick with EAL and suck up all the extra commuting for a year?

I can see no reason why you should have any issue doing level 3 through C&G. While your level 2 was completed through a different training provider, NVQs are all awarded by the same body.

As for NIC being the gold standard? Many would disagree with that statement. The qualifications required to join NIC, or any other similar body, will differ depending on which of their schemes you wish to join. For their domestic installer scheme, requirements can be found on this page.

Last edited:

Reply to Retraining as electrician - EAL or C&G? Prospective employers opinions on course-trained elecs? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net