Discuss Right nightmare of a job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Haven't watched the video, but at least they've got Yorkshire tea :)

DPG give it a watch when you get a spare 15 minutes...
It’s a proper dogs breakfast botched wiring
Would require the patience of a saint to sort this one out

Finally got round to watching this video - what a nightmare. Good luck with that one Delroy!

I don't want to be critical of this video, But I feel a need to express my opinion anyway.
If you UK sparkies weren't so infatuated with this damn ring system, you might actually be able to fault find on a circuit with more than 3 cables. Honestly, the answer is to rewire the whole circuit just because there is a fault on both legs?
successful fault finding isn't about giving up if the wiring doesn't follow the ring system. The wiring is already in the walls, it worked previously.... fix the fault.

I don't want to be critical of this video, But I feel a need to express my opinion anyway.
If you UK sparkies weren't so infatuated with this damn ring system, you might actually be able to fault find on a circuit with more than 3 cables. Honestly, the answer is to rewire the whole circuit just because there is a fault on both legs?
successful fault finding isn't about giving up if the wiring doesn't follow the ring system. The wiring is already in the walls, it worked previously.... fix the fault.

It's not a 'fault', it's a very badly wired circuit which needs major work. Nothing to do with it being a ring circuit - a standard ring circuit has 2 cables at each socket (or possibly 3 if there's a spur), as does a radial.

And saying that it worked previously is a very dodgy way of assessing things. I'm sure we have all seen things that work, but are in no way safe.

You could waste most of a day trying to trace a fault or faults with no success, hidden joints buried in plaster behind tiles etc are hard to find.
You could probably rewire the entire circuit in a day or day and a half.
I am all for tracing out faults and trying to fix them but sometimes you just need start again.

You could waste most of a day trying to trace a fault or faults with no success, hidden joints buried in plaster behind tiles etc are hard to find.
You could probably rewire the entire circuit in a day or day and a half.
I am all for tracing out faults and trying to fix them but sometimes you just need start again.
Agree dusty 9 times out of 10 the customer is happier with that as well especially if the faults as you say behind tiles etc....I did a job this week where someone had wired sockets in 0.75 mm flex...newly decorated detached bungalow so I ran the lot in conduit on the outside on a little used side of the building, only had sockets on that side of the house anyways.....old couple made up that I didn’t need to rip they house to but ?

TBF fault finding on a ring isn't that much harder than a radial.
Given that as soon as you split it.... it stops being a ring. :)

Reply to Right nightmare of a job in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net