Discuss Is my boiler wired right? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

How do you know, if you don't keep up to date with the regs?
Well you see, the big changes are talked about everywhere, like when metal CU's came out, I got emails, memos of STROMA (At the time), wholesalers had leaflets about it, everyone in on-line forums and at work mentioned it because it was important and a big change. I've not seen the reg about cpc as a live until the other day, because guess what - it isn't deemed important enough to talk about, just like the daft 2.5M socket from a bath scenario. Google how far a socket should be from a bath and even the electrical safety type sites still say 3M because guess what, they haven't read the book from cover to cover either.

There are things we did not know before, at the time the previous installation was installed, that actually were unsafe but we didn't know it.
Just like we didn't know about mesothelioma when we were banging in perfectly safe asbestos containing materials left right and centre.
And we're not just talking about absolutes, like not leaving bare live parts for anyone to touch, but there are degrees of safety that can improve from one period to the next, both with the invention of new products, and the discovery of new dangers.
And if we don't keep up to date we could be installing something that's no longer considered safe (or the safety could be improved), even though we used to think it was.
That's theoretical though. I did a brief look on the ONS site and it seems 2 or 3 people are killed by electricity each year in a UK home. 20 or 30 years ago it was 10 times that amount, this despite way more homes and way more electric points being fitted everywhere. And I'll bet 99% of those few deaths were caused by stupidity. I reckon electrics are just about as safe now as they will ever be save lowering the voltage considerably which will never happen.

Well you see, the big changes are talked about everywhere, like when metal CU's came out, I got emails, memos of STROMA (At the time), wholesalers had leaflets about it, everyone in on-line forums and at work mentioned it because it was important and a big change. I've not seen the reg about cpc as a live until the other day, because guess what - it isn't deemed important enough to talk about, just like the daft 2.5M socket from a bath scenario. Google how far a socket should be from a bath and even the electrical safety type sites still say 3M because guess what, they haven't read the book from cover to cover either.

Might be worth checking when such information was posted. Not much point in trying to keep up to date from sources that are out of date. Ultimately there is one reliable source for this information and it costs money to access - everything else may contain misleading information.

they haven't read the book from cover to cover either.
Who has?
It’s a reference book to which to refer to attain the ‘latest’ guidance on various aspects of electrical installations, not all of will apply to all installations so no need read all of it just the specific points required.
Relying on info (including you tube) as suggested in post #62 is like playing with ‘Chinese Whispers’ - misleading/contradictory/out of date!!

Reply to Is my boiler wired right? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net