Discuss Replacement Unvented Boiler installed - Do I need a new Electrical Box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a new unvented Boiler fitted as the old one had reached the end of it's life. Electrician mentioned that it might be worth replacing my fuse box and giving it a separate RCD. My fuse box appears to have 10 black switches and the 3 red main ones, was last checked by an electrician in 2020. Cost is about £600-700. Just not sure about the pro's and con's and obviously after buying a new boiler if I should do it sooner rather than later as the cost is a fair amount for me.

Anything that would help me make the decision would be gratefully received.

Stick a picture of the consumer unit on here for better advice.
I’m not a fan of changing them unless there’s a good reason and clear benefits.

Stick a picture of the consumer unit on here for better advice.
I’m not a fan of changing them unless there’s a good reason and clear benefits.
dddd.JPG
ddddddd.JPG
dddddddd.JPG

I have to agree, I'd also be suggesting there are benefits to upgrading that one.
RCD technology is a good thing and it's getting rarer to find no hint of it at all.

That looks like a metal enclosure? Hager RCBOs are about £15 a pop, so about £150 for parts. Can anyone see why it shouldn't be upgraded rather than replaced?
As a cheaper option I'd agree you would at least get type A RCD protection with minimal disruption.
For about £150 more in parts you could have surge protection and RCBO's that switch the Neutrals too (Hager's don't) giving better isolation of future faults.

Reply to Replacement Unvented Boiler installed - Do I need a new Electrical Box? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hello, Is there an actual age limit on house wiring that would prevent a traditional fuse box being replaced with a consumer unit please...
Replies
Views
Hi, Small flat, currently has a small'ish feed water tank, top of a cupboard, feed through a wall into under stairs cupboard. Hot water tank...
Replies
Views
I have a Worcester 28CDi combi-boiler witted with a wireless thermostat which has stopped working. The model numbers are: Receiver 7716 192 005...
Replies
Views
Hi all, Just to be clear, I'm not looking for advice on upgrading but rather just clarification of our existing setup. We need to upgrade the...
Replies
Views
Looking for a bit of advice from the wider audience / those who may have done similar before. I entered the game a bit later / in a non...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock