Discuss Roller shutters - emergency stop buttons in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

G

Guest125

Had a conversation with a roller shutter installation comapny today.

They have installed their electric shutters on a project we are working on. They have installed a key switch up/down button. No emergency stop button.

I said to the PC today that there should be one installed. The answer I got was "well no other contractors install these"

thoughts please??

Why do you say a roller shutter needs a E-stop button.... as standard they should be dead mans operations to close and auto open, if key switch then spring return ... you can even get auto with light gates, IR sensors, pressure pads etc ...if an operator is in control of a closing shutter by using a non latchng operation then why would an E-stop be required?

Do you have knowledge of the LV directive - specifically roller shutter regulations under the BS EN12635 and BS EN13242-1 to make this comment or are you just saying this off the cuff from a position of 'I thought' ?, A dangerous position to cross examine others on subjects you know little about if this is the case, let them do there job for which they hold responsibilty and don't cross then line unless you are clear on the regulations yourself to be in a position to pull them up on their work.

PS not saying your wrong or right but I personally would do my research be throwing it out there.

Last edited:
My approach was if the switch failed. I accept it would be unlikely but if it did then a switch would be required. I know it is not clear cut but I read a reg earlier that said any equipment that could cause injury during a fault must have an emergency stop button.

My approach was if the switch failed. I accept it would be unlikely but if it did then a switch would be required. I know it is not clear cut but I read a reg earlier that said any equipment that could cause injury during a fault must have an emergency stop button.

Your skipping over a very complex set of regulations on subjects that cover many areas by reading 1 sentence, its not your concern for safety that I reacted to but your negative approach to a company installing the equipment expressing you think its doesn't comply as you thought it needed an E-stop.

I can’t see the OP as he’s on my ignore list.

But from my experience, roller shutters are a minefield and not an area to mess about in without knowing the full implications of what you’re doing.

I’ve worked on high speed tele approach doors, security doors, you name it, somehow I’d get lumbered with them. Some weighed 4 tonnes with 20HP motors, they had to rapid reverse if obstructed.
Hardly any were to a standard design. Light curtains, safe edges, IR beams, interlocked security bolts, pneumatic drop bolts. The worse was interlocking them in to the plants PLC’s, the doors opened and closed as the product moved.

UKESRail, what is you’re experience with these doors? None by what I’ve seen of your posts before I consigned you to oblivion.

Just to give people a giggle.
Ever seen “mechanically recovered meat” on food products? Rotating water jets work at 35,000psi to strip every bit of flesh off a carcase, we used them to clean castings. They operated in an enclosure with automatic doors. One of the doors failed, “could I override the sequence so the doors don’t need to be closed?”

My stance was to talk about it. I did not 'pull them up" on anything. I have put supplies in for hundredsof roller shutters every year. Now, 90% of them the company installing them install a stop button. 10% do not. In this case we install one. We crossed paths yesterday so I asked them. I also found regs which I belive covers this subject and says there should be one.

My opinion was you might be wrong if you don't install one. You won't be wrong if you do indtall one.

Done a bit of work in Custody suites, and asked about the sliding steel doors that we had to run through as they auto shut - apparently there is no safety, they just "shut" !!!

They have installed their electric shutters on a project we are working on. They have installed a key switch up/down button. No emergency stop button.

I said to the PC today that there should be one installed. The answer I got was "well no other contractors install these"

thoughts please?
?
Cheese and onion please.

thoughts please??

My thoughts are - Keep your nose out of things you don't know anything about.

i have a PDF somewhere with all the required H and S for automated gate systems, i am installing a solar powered gate this year so i have also been reading up on it! I'll have a look now

Reply to Roller shutters - emergency stop buttons in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net