Search the forum,

Discuss Rusty Electrician needing clarification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Its been a while since I have done any big jobs and if im honest I've been out of the loop for a while (approx 3 years). And sadly all my notes and paperwork went missing.

Just bought my 1st house and it is in need of re-wiring, as it was discovered that the shower delivered pleasant shocks, when measuring the earth there was 1amp travelling around the house, fortunatly I found and fixed the problem quite quickly. The earthing in the property either doesnt exsit or is in very poor condition so is in urgent need of replacement.

Now I think I may have the deisgning right but would love your opinions or advice.

This is what I have got:

Lounge (5.4m x 5.4m) and Dining Room (4.2m x 3m) on a 2.5mm ring main protected by 32amp RCBO
Bedroom 1 (2.2m x 3.4m), Bed 2 (2.9m x 3.7) and Bed 3 (3.4m x 3.7m) 2.5mm ring main 32amp RCBO
Kitchen (4.2m x 3.2m) 4mm radial, 20amp RCBO, Kitchen will only have fridgefreezer, LPG cooker and Cooker hood
Garage (6.3m x 3.7m) 4mm radial, 20amp RCBO
Lounge/Diner/Kitchen Lights 1.5mm 6amp RCBO
Bed 1,2,3, Bathroom 1, 2 and Garage Lights 1.5mm 6amp RCBO
Boiler 1.5mm 6amp RCBO

Opinions/Advice greatly welcomed.

Hi guys.

Its been a while since I have done any big jobs and if im honest I've been out of the loop for a while (approx 3 years). And sadly all my notes and paperwork went missing.

Just bought my 1st house and it is in need of re-wiring, as it was discovered that the shower delivered pleasant shocks, when measuring the earth there was 1amp travelling around the house, fortunatly I found and fixed the problem quite quickly. The earthing in the property either doesnt exsit or is in very poor condition so is in urgent need of replacement.

Now I think I may have the deisgning right but would love your opinions or advice.

This is what I have got:

Lounge (5.4m x 5.4m) and Dining Room (4.2m x 3m) on a 2.5mm ring main protected by 32amp RCBO
Bedroom 1 (2.2m x 3.4m), Bed 2 (2.9m x 3.7) and Bed 3 (3.4m x 3.7m) 2.5mm ring main 32amp RCBO
Kitchen (4.2m x 3.2m) 4mm radial, 20amp RCBO, Kitchen will only have fridgefreezer, LPG cooker and Cookerhood
Boiler 1.5mm 6amp RCBO

No other appliances in the kitchen,washing machines etc?

looks good. bedrooms could be on a 20A /2.5mm radial unless you're going to plug heaters in. and it's not called a ring main any more. ring final circuit. a ring main would be a distribution circuit. was always a bad terminology.

edit: see if you can get a pme earthing provided, and sort the bonding out. if pme, bonding must be min. 10mm.

Hey guys, thanks for the input.

Leesparkykent there are no other appliances in the kitchen, washing machine is being relocated to the garage.

telectrix I think i'll go with that as the price of electric where I live is expensive so we will not be plugging heaters in. Apolgies for the bad terminology I just never seem to be able to get 'ring main' out of my head ;-) Shoud have also mentioned that we are on a TT system.

Andrewr3 Thanks i'll look at that.

atm84 Your right but for some reason I alway go with RCBOs if money allows and customers seem to be happy with the conveinience in fault conditions.

farmelectrics I agree, what are you suggesting Murdoch?

Use SPSN or even better DP RCBO's for TT.

Is there any sort or system (Part Pee etc) in place in the channel islands for a rewire?
Are you a time served spark?

Is there any sort or system (Part Pee etc) in place in the channel islands for a rewire?

The local electrcity company state that you must be qualified and have the worked certified (with copies of the certificate sent to them) otherwise they will disconnect supply until it has been done properly.

Time served? I completed my 5 year apprenticeship but sadly had to seek work elsewhere shortly
after and could not find a job in the same industry, but have had small jobs here or there just nothing but such as new/re-wire.

Hi guys.

This is what I have got:

Lounge (5.4m x 5.4m) and Dining Room (4.2m x 3m) on a 2.5mm ring main protected by 32amp RCBO One ring o cover all downstairs rooms....
Bedroom 1 (2.2m x 3.4m), Bed 2 (2.9m x 3.7) and Bed 3 (3.4m x 3.7m) 2.5mm ring main 32amp RCBO One ring or one radial to cover all bedrooms and landing.
Kitchen (4.2m x 3.2m) 4mm radial, 20amp RCBO, Kitchen will only have fridgefreezer, LPG cooker and Cooker hood One ring and one dedicated 2.5mm radial circuit for F/Freeer. A 4mm radial circuit is not easily adaptable to provide additional sockets for future needs, especially in a kitchen. More is always better than less in a kitchen... Unless this garage is integral to the house, you might want to think twice before locating the washing machine in there. Think about it?? lol!!
Garage (6.3m x 3.7m) 4mm radial, 20amp RCBO Again is the garage integral, if not a SWA supply to the garage, to supply a garage RCD CU (for lights/power). No need for RCD at the house CU a MCB will suffice...
Lounge/Diner/Kitchen Lights 1.5mm 6amp RCBO Fine...
Bed 1,2,3, Bathroom 1, 2 and Garage Lights 1.5mm 6amp RCBO Fine...
Boiler 1.5mm 6amp RCBO Fine...

Just wait till the Mrs wants a dishwasher, a tumble dryer, and so on and so on ...oh and it will come sooner or later!! lol!! Never skimp on provision of power outlets in your own kitchen, or at least the ease to provide for them....

Hi guys.

This is what I have got:

Kitchen (4.2m x 3.2m) 4mm radial, 20amp RCBO, Kitchen will only have fridgefreezer, LPG cooker and Cooker hood
Boiler 1.5mm 6amp RCBO

As soon as I activate a second amp, that dull ghost tone goes away

Murdoch if im honest I struggled with the practical side of my apprenticeship as my tutor was hardly ever on site on when he was it was only for 30mins at the most, I ended up having to quit my job before I finished college due to not getting paid and then I could not find a job in the same trade again. Made it very difficult to complete college but somehow I managed.

Considering your struggling

This isn’t a bad buy for your first house
Lounge (5.4m x 5.4m)
Dining Room (4.2m x 3m)
Bed 1 (2.2m x 3.4m)
Bed 2 (2.9m x 3.7)
Bed 3 (3.4m x 3.7m)
Kitchen (4.2m x 3.2m)
Garage (6.3m x 3.7m)

Just admit you’re looking for a free design service for a job you’ve undertaken.

to be fair, he has posted up his design, just asking for a 2nd opinion or 3.

Considering your struggling

This isn’t a bad buy for your first house
Lounge (5.4m x 5.4m)
Dining Room (4.2m x 3m)
Bed 1 (2.2m x 3.4m)
Bed 2 (2.9m x 3.7)
Bed 3 (3.4m x 3.7m)
Kitchen (4.2m x 3.2m)
Garage (6.3m x 3.7m)

Just admit you’re looking for a free design service for a job you’ve undertaken.

Haha what can I say I managed to find a job that pays £30k a year and its something I really enjoy and dont have to worry about being paid at the end of each week.

Engineer54, I should have mention that the garage is integral

Murdoch if im honest I struggled with the practical side of my apprenticeship as my tutor was hardly ever on site on when he was it was only for 30mins at the most, I ended up having to quit my job before I finished college due to not getting paid and then I could not find a job in the same trade again. Made it very difficult to complete college but somehow I managed.

Struggled with the practical side.? That's the easy part. lol

Not when your not working in the electrical industry

My old English teacher always went bananas when I wrote that way Rusty.

If I wrote "I didn't say anything"he would rant on about me having said something,the nob

So, are you working in the industry or are you not ?
icon7.png

If I wrote "I didn't say anything"he would rant on about me having said something,the nob

icon7.png

Haha having re-read that I now realise I suck at english.

I still do odd jobs here and there such as additional sockets on an exsisting circuit or just changing of fittings, but nothing major. My line of work now is the Fire service.

Haha having re-read that I now realise I suck at english.

I still do odd jobs here and there such as additional sockets on an exsisting circuit or just changing of fittings, but nothing major. My line of work now is the Fire service.

Creating work for the fire service?.............................lol..............................joking mate :icon12:

If not in the industry and not used to or experienced (and if practical experience is minimal) at this kind of work then why in gods name are you thinking about doing a rewire? Far better to get a fully qualified time served local spark to do it all for you. If costs are an issue you could perhaps offer to labour to him, and learn a bit in the process.

Use SPSN or even better DP RCBO's for TT.

The Channel Islands is made up of two distinct jurisdictions - the Bailiwick of Jersey and the Bailiwick of Guernsey. Having lived and worked in Jersey I know that there is the Jersey notification scheme which requires all electrical work to be notified to the States of Jersey. I don't know what the case is in Guernsey.

I’ll be brutally honest and call you a liar.

And why would you be calling me a liar?

123, I can see your point but I would say I am capable of doing the work, I still completed my 5 years at college, they were aware of my work situation and we still happy to pass my practical work that I completed whilst I was there and I pass all my exam with no issues. I do have my father in law to call on who has been sparky for over 30 years but sadly he has been out of the industry for over 2 years due to having a stroke.

icon7.png

Surely you mean if you had said "I didn't say nothing" he would rant on about having said something as the statement contains a double negative.

quote_icon.png
Originally Posted by Des 56

icon7.png

Surely you mean if you had said "I didn't say nothing" he would rant on about having said something as the statement contains a double negative.

Have you retrained as a spark ? because I am getting a sneaky feeling you may have been a teacher in the sixties,the admonishments do seem to be similar

Oh and I still have very little ability when it comes to English language sir lol

Been having think about this and looking at pricing. Cheapest I can get an RCBO for is £25 each, making this a very expensive set up, what would you guys think to a split load set up?

Been having think about this and looking at pricing. Cheapest I can get an RCBO for is £25 each, making this a very expensive set up, what would you guys think to a split load set up?

You say this is for your own house, and you are questioning whether a RCBO board is the way to go - in which case I question your competence, qualifications and experience.

hi integrity BG board, RCBOs are £20 apiece. not sure if they're SP+N or just SP.will have to check.

You say this is for your own house, and you are questioning whether a RCBO board is the way to go - in which case I question your competence, qualifications and experience.

Im not questioning which board to use, I am asking opinions as to what others would use based on costing and convieniance. You can question what you like but at the end of the day I hold the certificates from City and Guilds and completed a 5 year course.

Just out of curiosity do you have calibrated test equipment (an MFT or single units) that you can test the installation with?

Reply to Rusty Electrician needing clarification in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net