Discuss Safety first campaign in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Gone through this videos website....Safety First. And they are stating it takes a minimum of 4 years to become an electrician, with some good videos of apprentices, explaining all their college courses and onsite experience....I would say they are showing the correct path.

Safety is important but the way it showed here is some what ridiculous for me. This can be more effective if they stick to the practical approach. Long apprenticeship with less benefits is wasting your time in my opinion.

Safety is important but the way it showed here is some what ridiculous for me. This can be more effective if they stick to the practical approach. Long apprenticeship with less benefits is wasting your time in my opinion.

Of course it would be, ....to a Electrical Trainee that knows no better but still ''THINKS'' he's an electrician!! lol!!

The headline made me laugh, "are you sure the person giving you online advice is a registered electrician" so being registered guarantees a good electrician does it? I 'd like to think I was a good electrician and I'm not registered and neither are a lot of people I know,and judging by some of the stuff we've seen lately AND the responses from certain registering organisations being registered is NO guarantee of getting a decent electrician.

all registration shows is a basic knowledge of domestic installations and an ability to hand over £500.

Copy of an email I have just sent to those responsible for the campaign,I will let you know of any reply.

Dear Sirs,I have just seen one of your video's and find it's headline offensive and derogatory to a great many decent electricians.I refer to the headline "how do you know the person giving you online advice is a registered electrician"
This seems to imply that only electricians who are registered with a scheme are competant and trustworthy,as a retired electrician who was not registered with a scheme I always carried out my work to a very high standard as do a lot of my associates.Recently we came across a full house rewire that had been undertaken by a "registered electrician" and it was a death trap,earthing not done,bare live conductors left sticking out of walls to name but two of the large number of problems we saw,I took this up with someone high up in his registering body and despite providing them with his name,registration number and photographic evidence of the state of his work was told they would only act if the actual customer complained.Sadly we are seeing a lot more of this recently and the scheme providers seem unable or indeed often unwilling to take action.So as you will see using a "registered" electrician isn't always a guarantee of good workmanship.

Yours faithfully
P C Davies

all registration shows is a basic knowledge of domestic installations and an ability to hand over £500.

Not by some of the queries that are constantly being asked on the forum. If anything they are getting worse rather than better!! It's more like the handing over of the 500 notes that deems them as being registered as competent, as far as the providers are concerned, sod all else!!

as promised here's the reply I received to my email.

Dear Mr Davies,

Thanks for your email and I am sorry if you have found our campaign offensive – that is of course not our intention.

Electrical Safety First promotes registered electricians as householders have the peace of mind that, should something go wrong, there is a procedure in place to investigate any complaints about registered electricians who have not worked to the UK safety standard BS 7671. There is a huge lack of public awareness around the fact that certain work can only be carried out by electricians registered with one of the government-approved schemes, which is another area of focus for our campaigns.

I hope you understand our reasoning and again apologies for any offence caused.

Kind Regards,

Ben

Waffle.jpg

Male bovine excrement.

I've been hearing on radio recently that the Dung Beetle can shovel around something like a 1000 times its own body weight of shyte.
They're mere amateurs compared to these geezers.

@NICEIC ENGINEER would you care to comment, seeing as you joined this forum to justify your organisation?

as promised here's the reply I received to my email.

Dear Mr Davies,

Thanks for your email and I am sorry if you have found our campaign offensive – that is of course not our intention.

Electrical Safety First promotes registered electricians as householders have the peace of mind that, should something go wrong, there is a procedure in place to investigate any complaints about registered electricians who have not worked to the UK safety standard BS 7671. There is a huge lack of public awareness around the fact that certain work can only be carried out by electricians registered with one of the government-approved schemes, which is another area of focus for our campaigns.

I hope you understand our reasoning and again apologies for any offence caused.

Kind Regards,

Ben

Perhap this BEN, can explain how a guy stacking Tesco shelves relatively just a few days ago, can be deemed as being ''competent'' to work in peoples homes, or can be seen as promoting a safety first approach!!

Perhaps our Ben can also explain how there are now far more so-called cowboys operating in the domestic sector than before the Part P providers came on the scene. The only difference being, that the vast majority of the present day cowboys, have actually been manufactured and falsely registered as being competent, by the very people that were set up to ensure competence in the domestic sector in the first place!!

Safety has become the brand new drum to beat, by all these fake organisations it's unfortunate it's just another word that can used to make money from!!!

There is a huge lack of public awareness around the fact that certain work can only be carried out by electricians registered with one of the government-approved schemes, which is another area of focus for our campaigns.

The problem with that, however, being that it is simply not correct.

Gone through this videos website....Safety First. And they are stating it takes a minimum of 4 years to become an electrician, with some good videos of apprentices, explaining all their college courses and onsite experience....I would say they are showing the correct path.

I don’t know how you sat through that dross Tazz.

Like the BBC’s watchdog program the site is devoted to sensationalism and to promote the scams.

Reply to Safety first campaign in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net