Discuss Schedule of Test.... are any mandatory? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I was asked which tests during a Schedule of test on a new building and then on an in use building were mandatory.
Where ever I look in the few regs books I have with me they say where "relevant" or "recommended" not will be or shall be done!

So,..... R2 test mandatory or if you feel like it, same with Insulation Testing, is it down to how you feel on the day ?!

Anyone have an Approved reference they can point me towards that says this test WILL BE DONE ?

Thanks

on a new build, do all the tests as laid out on the SOTR. for an existing installation, testing is limited to what you and the client agree on. obviously, the more N/Vs you put on an EICR, the less value the document has.

But what about a building 10 years old, and where does it say YOU WILL !

Make up your own cert and have titles like 'Light switch works'.....
That would then be an EICR, you discuss with the client how far the testing will go and explain this on the pages when it asks for clarification of what has been agreed.

all down to how big your writing is, and how much you can fit on the back of a beermat. (or smoke packet for the teetotallers).

But what about a building 10 years old, and where does it say YOU WILL !

Make up your own cert and have titles like 'Light switch works'.....

Eh? It doesn't matter how old the building is. If you are doing an actual job then you will be issuing a cert with a schedule of tests, which must be done or else how can you issue it? As for an EICR on such an installation, well I personally test 100% of circuits, again I couldn't fill out the EICR without doing so!

on a new build, do all the tests as laid out on the SOTR. for an existing installation, testing is limited to what you and the client agree on. obviously, the more N/Vs you put on an EICR, the less value the document has.

I said that the SOTR in the Regs would be the minimum required but I can't find anywhere where it states THESE are the minimum that YOU MUST do, all I could find was "Recommended"!!

Eh? It doesn't matter how old the building is. If you are doing an actual job then you will be issuing a cert with a schedule of tests, which must be done or else how can you issue it? As for an EICR on such an installation, well I personally test 100% of circuits, again I couldn't fill out the EICR without doing so!
Totally agree 100%, however that said sometimes the installation will be a problem and Lims may have to be considered, but yep agree agree fella

But where does it say this is the minimum that YOU WILL do? All I've found is recommended !
So it does tie up under an agreement with the client as you complete the EICR.

I just thought that Testing would have a minimum number of tests 'written-in-stone' that YOU WILL do.

I've always done the Testing to the Schedule printed in the BGB and I supposed I realy just followed blindly

Kingeri I agree as has been said start assuming all tests will be done on all circuits,

however....sometimes this isn't possible. Especially in a commercial situation, as i am sure you are aware! Sometimes the agreement is just live tests as powering down just isn't possible. Like in a 24/7 truck company office for example.

All down to whats agreed and you are being paid to do.

I agree with kingeri , if you carry out all the tests as required you can sleep at night , miss them and something goes wrong , prime example young mother electrocuted in her airing cupboard, the electrical company failed to carry out the required testing , and have now been charged with unlawful killing think that answers the question

On a new build, ALL relevant testing of the installation should be conducted. On existing installations some of the dead testing can be omitted where it is unreasonable to power down. It is then totally down to the person conducting the inspection and testing of the installation what limitations he is prepared to forego. All such limitations normally being agreed, before any IT work being started...

Reply to Schedule of Test.... are any mandatory? in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net