Discuss self made solution for testing for earth leakage on RCD's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The guy's got far too much time on his hands, not to mention what he's suggesting/proposing here contravenes god knows how many H&S etc rules and regulations. He also seems to think that a 30mA RCD device should trip at 30mA and not less...lol!! Perhaps he should check the BS spec for RCD's.

I wonder what he'll have to say, if for any reason his house burns down and the insurance company sends an assessor/investigator and he notices his modification. Sorry sir, we will not be honouring your insurance claim, as you have undisclosed unauthorised modifications to your electrical installation.

All this for the sake of not purchasing a leakage clamp, ....''there's nought so strange as folk'' as they say!!

Haha utter shyte as in my OP then lol

Didn't really read the whole thing, mainly just his crazy modification.

Not sure what Wylex would have to say or do if they came across this article?? At the very least i'm pretty sure that they would be insisting that the article be withdrawn under threat of legal proceedings me thinks!!

If I didnt have any testers and needed to test a circuit would I buy a wylex RCD and mod it as shown? of course not. It does show he has some understanding on how the RCD works But needs test equipment just to set this up. I found this an interresting read but dont think it should be on ebay as a guide to Joe public on how to test circuits for leakage.

If I didnt have any testers and needed to test a circuit would I buy a wylex RCD and mod it as shown? of course not. It does show he has some understanding on how the RCD works But needs test equipment just to set this up. I found this an interresting read but dont think it should be on ebay as a guide to Joe public on how to test circuits for leakage.

From what i gathered, he intends to leave this modified RCD in his CU. I didn't read it as a replacement for a leakage clamp tester that can be taken from job to job as part of a test kit. I don't think that even he is that bloody stupid!! ...But then again... lol!!

Well not too sure about him understanding how an RCD works, he seems to be of an opinion that a 30mA RCD should trip at 30mA anything less it's weak or a duff un, which isn't the case at all...

From what i gathered, he intends to leave this modified RCD in his CU. I didn't read it as a replacement for a leakage clamp tester that can be taken from job to job as part of a test kit. I don't think that even he is that bloody stupid!! ...But then again... lol!!

Well not too sure about him understanding how an RCD works, he seems to be of an opinion that a 30mA RCD should trip at 30mA anything less it's weak or a duff un, which isn't the case at all...

Just because he does not know that a 30ma rcd should trip below 30mA don't mean he dont understand how they work. (lots of electricians won't understand the circuitry inside a RCD) Yet can test and use them correctly.

Also I quote "N.B. - although this minor modification cannot affect the operation of the RCD in any way, the modified unit is intended for temporary installation by a qualified and competent person for measurement/diagnostic purposes only. "

As I said I read the full article and its use in other consumer units /DBs would be useless as theres loads of different kinds.
The modification could easily affect the opperation of the RCD if it shorted or was shorted by probes or the wrong setting on a multimeter.

Just because he does not know that a 30ma rcd should trip below 30mA don't mean he dont understand how they work. (lots of electricians won't understand the circuitry inside a RCD) Yet can test and use them correctly.

Also I quote "N.B. - although this minor modification cannot affect the operation of the RCD in any way, the modified unit is intended for temporary installation by a qualified and competent person for measurement/diagnostic purposes only. "

As I said I read the full article and its use in other consumer units /DBs would be useless as theres loads of different kinds.
The modification could easily affect the opperation of the RCD if it shorted or was shorted by probes or the wrong setting on a multimeter.

I think that most qualified electricians will or should know there is a +/- for both tripping times and tripping current for RCD's....

And as i pointed out i didn't, or lets say couldn't be arsed to read the full article!!
So what's this idiot suggesting then, modify a whole host of different manufactures RCD's as part of his/your test kit?? Who in their right mind would spend the time and effort arsing around making such a modification when a leakage clamp can do the job better, and is much more versatile to boot!!

I think that most qualified electricians will or should know there is a +/- for both tripping times and tripping current for RCD's....

And as i pointed out i didn't, or lets say couldn't be arsed to read the full article!!
So what's this idiot suggesting then, modify a whole host of different manufactures RCD's as part of his/your test kit?? Who in their right mind would spend the time and effort arsing around making such a modification when a leakage clamp can do the job better, and is much more versatile to boot!!

I get the impression that the guy is fairly bright and it's more of an academic exercise for himself than anything.

Is it a good idea?

not really but the thought process is quite interesting.

I get the impression that the guy is fairly bright and it's more of an academic exercise for himself than anything.

Is it a good idea?

not really but the thought process is quite interesting.

Posting this sort of modification to a Wylex RCD (or any other come to that) on e-bay, is far from being 'Bright''!!

Academically bright and common sense are two entirely different things.

I agree that posting it on E-bay was not the sharpest thing to do. :)

Reply to self made solution for testing for earth leakage on RCD's in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net