Discuss Setting Up On My Own in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

D

Daxor

Hi guys I am new and just started to think about setting up on my own.

I have completed my apprenticeship, AM2 and my 17th edt. update. I get plenty of work of family friends and now of people that they have passed my name onto.

The thing is I have been offered by a hotel the chance to test and inspect the entire complex, guest rooms, lounge, bar, kitchen, the lot. I know I would have to sit my 2391 in order to comply with the "competance" side of things but was wondering, is it the firm who issues the certificate or the individual? would I simply need to complete my 2391 and then I could in theory go and test and inspect the hotel and issue a certificate?

If I would need to register with as a firm then what exactly would I need to do in order to set up on my own. As you can tell I have only this moment been thinking properly about going solo and as such I haven't done much in the way of research but it doesn't seem that easy to find out

Any help would be great, even if it is the way of people to call or helpful links.

Daniel.

Hey Daniel,

Do you do a lot of PIRs with the company you are with? Competance does not mean you have to hold your 2391 qual but I would highly recommend taking it as it's a huge insight into the inspection, testing and commissioning process. I would recommend contacting the NIC EIC, Knapit, elecsa etc and look at joining and also have all you insurances at hand as once you have your signature on that PIR it's a lot of responsibility! I only started up by myself in September and just getting to grips with it all and found this website is a huge help, I hope I have helped and if I have missed anything else out I'm sure many other members will fill in the gaps.

Good luck on the self employment route!

Regards,

Daniel

I've just took the plunge and set up on my own. All I will say is plan ahead, I took over a year to get my shop together ready, it can be very, very expensive. If you are doing inspections you will need indemnity insurance. A van is good, but you could use a car, business insurance, part p scam, testing kit etc etc.
I must admit, I love it, do what I want when I want, but try to disipline myself to get a bit of work done too!

Thanks for the info, seems like theres plenty for me to sort out, is there a list of any kind that tells you everything you need for going solo, so that I can sort them out one by one, hoping to go solo in the next year once I have sorted out my 2391 in december qualifing in february.

Reply to Setting Up On My Own in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net