Discuss Shock protection on DC high current application in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Penance

Bit of an odd one here. One of my hobbies is ww2 living history, the group i belong to has an original search light and generator.

Running voltage of the quipment is around 110VDC and a start current of around 350A that settles to 150A when the arc is stable.

I have been asked to look at some form of shock protection and to be honest im not sure where to start with this.

Does anyone have any pointers regarding leakage device or similar?

looks like this uses a similar supply to a welder to strike up an arc in a special bulb, large surge of inrush current then a fairly high maintenance current to keep it lit......where do you get the lamps/bulbs for that as I know that they can be hand made for you but they would cost around 100 pounds each....
I suppose that was the only way to make a really bright bulb back then by using a DC arc...?

Its a carbon arc so no bulb to speak of, 2 carbon rods on a motor fed feed system, produces a beam of up to 3 miles on a good day.
We buy the rods and clamp blocks from a USA company.

My concern is that someone has come up with the idea of running 110V festoon lighting from it for our tentage, all it needs is for a mishap and someone will be pasted as you said.

need a separate generator for festoon lights or a mishap is not far away, would be like touching a welding rod whilst switched on and holding a metal object...
I take it the rectifier hardware is part of the generator set? in this case your festoon lighting would just vapourise as it was not designed for that kind of source...
Theres not many things run off of a supply like that now, all I can think of is that you must have some pretty heavy cables there for that, cant think of any safety device that would work in time to stop a pair of smoking boots...

Trying to persuade them to purchase a 110 ac genny on grounds of much better safety.

There is a circuit diagram on the genny plate and it shows no rectification method at all so i assume it is a split ring comm type. No way of being sure at the moment.
Cables are welding type, not my decision i add!

Reply to Shock protection on DC high current application in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net