Search the forum,

Discuss Smart meters ‘modern day equivalent of a nuclear strike’ in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

Interesting but if the government want it, it will happen. Still if they did turn the meters off at least we are in a good position to ....................................... (Can't say that as it would be illegal.)

Even the Cambridge report is a bit sensationalist.
"People dying of hypothermia"??

Financial centres / critical businesses etc have backup generators and disaster plans.

In the event of a declared cyber attack, anyone with electrical experience will have bypassed their own meter and as many others, including vunerable people as they can.

It would'nt be quite as catastophic as is being suggested.

And I would hope that the smart meters are designed to default to bypass in the event of an internal failure or unauthorised setting.

Otherwise there could be hundreds of dialysis machines switching off and killing people or stair lifts getting stuck half way,, sorry got a bit sensational there.

Admitted the Cambridge report is a little over the top in places, this was probably intended to get the government's attention, but at least it is a better balanced article offering possible solutions as well as highlighting the possible dangers.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone tries the "Human rights spying on me" thing.

I asume the meter will only hold the site / meter serial number, not the users name etc.

I'm not convinced that the local burglars are going to be sitting with thier (stolen) iPads down the road searching for someone who's power consumption has dropped to near zero, and then break in.

It'll be interesting to see if anyone tries the "Human rights spying on me" thing.

I asume the meter will only hold the site / meter serial number, not the users name etc.

I'm not convinced that the local burglars are going to be sitting with thier (stolen) iPads down the road searching for someone who's power consumption has dropped to near zero, and then break in.

How about people who have already converted to an on site Genny, oil storage tank or LP gas! Burglars are in for a shock with those people as their consumption would be registering as nil!!! Thinking of going down one of these routes myself as I would be able to source my fuel supply without some "greeney" sticking their sodding nose in as to my consumption of fuel!
The former East German Stasi would have loved to have had the info this government has on us! Why the hell are we letting politicians run our lives for us? They are our servants, not the other way around!

They mention hackers switching them off but think of it this way the government knows they have power generation problems and know this could be an issue in years to come so when Russia say one day threatens to switch off the gas and oil the government will want a way to ration the power so they put a message out that they have sent instructions to you smart meter to switch off the supply if you go over say 75% of your consumption in other words nobody freezes you all just retreat to one room in the house that you did years ago

Reply to Smart meters ‘modern day equivalent of a nuclear strike’ in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net