Discuss Smart Meter Installtion Programme - Opportunty to fit Supplier isolators to all homes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have read several forums threads regarding the dilemma faced by electricians over the pulling of the suppliers protective device. I have read threads where electricians have been put into awkward situations where the only way to rectify an unsafe situation immediately would be to cut the seal and pull the suppliers fuse in order to rectify the problem. Notwithstanding these unsafe situations, I wonder what percentage of electricians out there would get the supplier to isolate and re-energize before and after a CU change (honest answers only please). Bottom line is, the whole issue is nonsense and driving inappropriate activity underground. I believe that responsible bodies such as those that run approved schemes and professional bodies such as IET should be campaigning to do something about it (or maybe they are and i just don't know).

I see a 2 solutions to this problem:

1. Regulations should be changed to allow those registered with Approved schemes to pull suppliers fuses. The schemes should provide their members with suitable devices for re-sealing the fuse after their work is done. The Approved Schemes should, in all of their report forms, have a tick box to indicate if the suppliers fuse seal had to be cut and re-instated. The Approved Schemes should ensure competence for pulling fuses through their mandated surveillance process.

2. I understand that the Government's department of Energy and Climate Changintroducedrduced new policies that will see all homes fitted with Smart Meters between now and 2019 Smart meters - Department of Energy and Climate Change. Isn't this the ideal opportunity to fit suppliers isolators to all domestic properties. The government should mandate to the suppliers as part of the roll out of fitting smart meters that they must fit a suppiors isolator between the newly installed smart meter and the propertyies installation.

Am I over simplifying things or could Solution 1 (in the short term) and Solution 2 (in the long term) put this problem to bed forever.

Re: Smart Meter Installtion Programme - Opportunty to fit Supplier isolators to all h

Firstly!! I PULL THE FUSE!!!

sod the law, i work safe and if i had to wait for a DNO engineer to pull fuse/replace i would be waiting ages...! TIME = MONEY

Secondly!! I INSTALL A ISOLATOR AS STANDARD ON ALL CU CHANGES!!

Thirdly!! i heard that the smart meter program may not be rolled out as intended!! (from a good source at Meter Plus!)

Fourth!! The had chance to implement a Isolator in the original design of smart meter but it cost a few quid more so they said NO!

------------------------------------------

Re: Smart Meter Installtion Programme - Opportunty to fit Supplier isolators to all h

would it not be so much simpler and cheaper to make the outgoing terminals of the meter non-sealed?

Firstly!! I PULL THE FUSE!!!

sod the law, i work safe and if i had to wait for a DNO engineer to pull fuse/replace i would be waiting ages...! TIME = MONEY

Secondly!! I INSTALL A ISOLATOR AS STANDARD ON ALL CU CHANGES!!

Thirdly!! i heard that the smart meter program may not be rolled out as intended!! (from a good source at Meter Plus!)

Fourth!! The had chance to implement a Isolator in the original design of smart meter but it cost a few quid more so they said NO!

------------------------------------------
Thanks DurhamSparky for your response. And I suggest that your pragmatic approach to the problem is one shared by many competent persons and almost all "honest" and competent persons. What about the option of approved schemes issuing seals?

I would love to see a "legal" solution to this conundrum. I hate the fact that the DNO will usually "turn a blind eye", so long as meter tampering isn't evident.
Why should we have to put up with this rubbish? We are either professional or not!

Seftonbarn, start a campaign for option 1 and I will sign any petition you come up with.

I don’t know how many of you will have come across old installations with up to 4 or 5 small VIR’s sprouting out of each meter terminal feeding little fuse switches.

I didn’t do domestic but the lads that did would give me a call so they could up grade the CU to a BS3036 board. So Saturday morning would be go and snip each tail, bare them, twist together and make off in to a 100A Gerelco block with 7/.064 tails out the other side. No seals cut, all done live.

The contract electrician would then call the electricity board to connect the tails. The lads from the board would even call in at home to return the connectors for my next job. Well the lads from NWEB would the EMEB guys would nick them.

Various DNOs (two or three I think) do allow electricians to pull the fuse, there are methods to be employed and it is not straightforward but it is possible, these are the enlightened ones, other DNOs state categorically that it is not safe to allow anyone except a five minute trained meter fitter to pull the fuse.
If we could get them all to agree that it is safe to allow trained electricians to remove the fuse it would be much easier.

Agree with Durham: "Fourth!! The had chance to implement a Isolator in the original design of smart meter but it cost a few quid more so they said NO!"
Wonderful cost saving having to have the DNO send out so many people to pull fuses for you!

Round our way NICEIC Approved Contractors are allowed to cut seals and pull fuses, subject to proof of, and use of appropriate PPE - full visor and gloves etc. I just ring/text my local DNO manager and they arrange to re-seal when convenient to them

Very enlightened and simples :)

just NIC contractors..?? seems a bit brandist!!(if its a word)

New installations or on some meter relocations, the DNO are now using self connect meters.

The incoming side is sealed as usual, but on the outgoing side, the cover can be removed, tails connected.

There is then a slot to put your screwdriver to energise the outgoing side.

just NIC contractors..?? seems a bit brandist!!(if its a word)
LOL!
Well t'up here we have NIC and Select. As I'm not registered with Select I can only speak for NIC. I think elsewhere in the country (UK) where SSE/Scottish Hydro operate they may do similar with other Scam providers?

What is that site that allows a member of the public to put forward a proposal to become law?

I'm guessing its to fit iso, if I'm right maybe you could tag it on to Nicholas's RCD/EICR thing so that could be two things they could ignore in one hit

Reply to Smart Meter Installtion Programme - Opportunty to fit Supplier isolators to all homes in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net