Discuss smoke alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

L

lister

guys, a little advice if you please,

got a small extension to wire, it will be a single storey dining room (extension of existing kitchen) all open plan, and the building inspector has asked ( not the archetect) for a mains smoke.?
in the extension i might add, currently the house has no smokes at all.

i ask only i have only added smokes when bedrooms, hallways or landings have been extended
is mr bco right or can we shoot him down in flames (please, please please let him be wrong):D

Its a new build and a liveable space, So Id say he has every right to request one, Im surprised he hasnt also requested them in the up and down hallways also of the existing building. The Bco's in my area usually request a minimum of 1 on each hallway/landing when doing a extension.

Same here.

I would keep quiet if he has only asked for one, although you may wish to discuss with your client the option of having extra smokes and the benefits.

What I don't understand is i've done loads of single storey extensions and never been asked for one downstairs, what i want to do is fit them to hall and landings, and as you can imagine customer doesn't want both the extra expence and the smoke on his new lovely ceiling spoiling the line of his new spots.
And to be honest i can agree with him, where can i find in black and white what you have to have and where?

What I don't understand is i've done loads of single storey extensions and never been asked for one downstairs, what i want to do is fit them to hall and landings, and as you can imagine customer doesn't want both the extra expence and the smoke on his new lovely ceiling spoiling the line of his new spots.
And to be honest i can agree with him, where can i find in black and white what you have to have and where?

On the plans with the building regs on it.

Sometimes the architect will mark them on the drawings also.

There is also BS5839(pt6) which is worth a look.

On the plans with the building regs on it.

Sometimes the architect will mark them on the drawings also.

There is also BS5839(pt6) which is worth a look.

not on drawings or plans as its only a small extension on the end of his house for a dining room, architect has not spect anything.
had a look at part 6 etc and all of them say sensor in "principle habitable room" which i would take to be living room? (rather than a small room with a table in it)
a; as it hasn't got one
b; as its in the middle of the house
c; as its got a fire in it

no where can i find definitave text to say new build=smoke det :( (or otherwise)

Thanks Lenny, that link has a definition of a principle habitable room, witch the extension is most definatly not, so a shall slap a copy of that doc under his brussel and see what he says.:D

( we have a site meeting in about a week so i will let you know what happens)

Last edited by a moderator:
Usual caveat, "I'm no expert" but BS5839 is the standard (not regulatory unless defined within contract) for design, installation, maintenance etc. of fire detection systems. Your BCO may well be seeing out his obligations as he sees them under the The Regulatory Reform (Fire Safety) Order 2005 which is a different kettle of monkies altogether...

Apart from section 6 part 1 paragraph A, which states that this order does NOT apply to domestic premises.

so unlesss im mistaken (wich happens) he can't use this order in this instance.:D

Apart from section 6 part 1 paragraph A, which states that this order does NOT apply to domestic premises.

so unlesss im mistaken (wich happens) he can't use this order in this instance.:D

I wasn't making the assumption it was a single occupancy house, and if it is, which isn't clear (unless it is) section 31.10 might still apply... but then again, it might not.

As I said, he may be applying as he sees fit, which isn't necessarily correct, unless it is, and the same goes for me, or maybe not.

Reply to smoke alarm in the Security Alarms, Door Entry and CCTV (Public) area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock