Discuss Some re assurance - electric supply for a 3350Watt Microwave in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
We had an electrician out yesterday to fix something in our kitchen. I asked him to check our built in microwave and he said the wattage would be pulling around 14.56amps. After he looked at the wall socket he said that this microwave should be installed on its own supply and not on a standard 13 amp plug socket. ( the power rating on the microwave is 3350 watts)

I contacted the guy who installed the wiring and he told me that he had used 32 amp wiring and this electrician was talking rubbish, but I am not sure if this is correct as the socket in the wall is just a 13 amp one.

Any clarification would be helpful

Thanks

I take it it’s a combi microwave/ grill??

Even if the cable is rated to 32A, if it’s just got a standard socket on the end, then the fuse in the plug limits it to 13A.
Who put the plug and socket on this 32A circuit?
Should have been an isolator switch rated correctly. In fact… why a 32A circuit when a 16 would have done?

Have you got the instruction book for the appliance? What does it say about connection? Or post the make and model number, we can look it up.

I take it it’s a combi microwave/ grill??

Even if the cable is rated to 32A, if it’s just got a standard socket on the end, then the fuse in the plug limits it to 13A.
Who put the plug and socket on this 32A circuit?
Should have been an isolator switch rated correctly. In fact… why a 32A circuit when a 16 would have done?

Have you got the instruction book for the appliance? What does it say about connection? Or post the make and model number, we can look it up.
Hi Thanks for the reply.

I since spoke the guy who did the wiring. He told me that he has not added any new type of cabling to what is already installed in the property. He says that the ring main is running on 32 amp.

So, he explained he just chased in and ran a new length of wire, fitted a new socket to the wall and the microwave was plugged in.

He was adamant in saying all the kitchen appliances could be on at the same time on a 32 amp ring main with no issues.

The microware is a combination and is a bosch series 4 CMA583MSOB model.

There is nothing in the instructions that goes into any detail about the electrical installation though, sorry.

I guess the other electrician had some concers about the amps being drawn and he did comment that as the socket was a 13 amp one, with the oven plugged to it too it was a an issue in his opinion.

We just don't want to be spending more money on getting it wired on its own supply if its not required.

Thanks

This oven is meant to be on a 16A supply, so would typically be on its own dedicated 16A circuit. However, you will likely get away with running it on a 13A plug, provided it is a decent quality (heavy duty) plug with no loose connections! This is perhaps one of those occaisions where the manufacturer would be justified in saying using a 13A plug would invalidate your warranty!

Did it actually come with a 13A plug fitted to it.
Hi and thanks for the replies to my post. I just checked where be purchased it from (marks electrical) here is the link. The unit is meant to be hard wired, so in answer to your question they have just stuck a plug on it the end!

Hi and thanks for the replies to my post. I just checked where be purchased it from (marks electrical) here is the link. The unit is meant to be hard wired, so in answer to your question they have just stuck a plug on it the end!

Cable not supplied either for 3 pin plug.

Some re assurance - electric supply for a 3350Watt Microwave Untitled - EletriciansForums.net

well, we know who's at fault now. not reading manufacturers instructions.
The guy in question genuinely believes he has fitted this correctly which I find bizarre!

I'll have to get someone back to re wire this properly.

This is what happens when you put your trust in someone who says he is registered with NICEIC

Thanks

You can check his company on the niceic website, and report him… but from other stories on here, they would do more against someone using their badge without paying for it, rather than doing good on sorting one of their members cock ups.

You can check his company on the niceic website, and report him… but from other stories on here, they would do more against someone using their badge without paying for it, rather than doing good on sorting one of their members cock ups.
Thanks for the information. To be honest we sacked him and his company off a few weeks back. He was contracted to a company from Preston Blackburn who fitted (or not) our new kitchen. We have just cut our losses now and our in the process of paying for rectification work on more than just the electrics!

Reply to Some re assurance - electric supply for a 3350Watt Microwave in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock