Discuss Splitting Incoming Supply. Question & Ryefield access. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

He's run off again!

Haha you sound more demanding than the misses! Try and give more than 17 mins before you make a snarky comment! :smile: - But your advice is valid as the meters are after so your right to use the correct action to access them.

So has anyone had to deal with this before? Seems its quite difficult to turn the power off to your own property. What's the correct procedure and does it normally incur costs?

Murdoch - where did I even say that I was a sparky? please read the thread - Yes a sparky has come in a quoted for the work.

Hi

Been working through a few options with an electrician, on how to get an 4 way db to supply some new equipment being installed.

Due to the original board being pretty full up, they don't want to split a henley block out of it. As its only 100amp board and pretty loaded up already.

So suggested this.

Run from where the mains come into the property 25mm 3 core onto the new 4 way board with 100a switch. Due to the location of this its going to need about 40-50 meters of cable and I know its not cheap!

That was the first options, upon discussing with a few other people suggested this:-

Just splitting the power before the distribution board in the property then running to the new db and the old board. Would this be any difference?

As I guess the breaker in the ryefield box would be 100 amps?

The other challenge, is that the main fuse for the property as its a london apartment is locked up in ryefield box which is locked. What's the correct way to get access to this box? It has an edf sticker on it.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

Is this for a domestic installation, from the sound of it, ..it is!! I would doubt very much if the max loading of this domestic installation is anywhere near 100A in fact i doubt if the supply into this domestic installation is 100A, much more likely to be 60A or 80A. Henley blocks are the way to go here, providing everything else is in order eg, supply tails are adequate etc... What are these two new 32A circuits providing, ring circuits??
To be honest, unless were talking about outlets for wall heaters and the like, you may not need 32A circuits, 16A radials may be more than adequate for your needs!!

Haha you sound more demanding than the misses! Try and give more than 17 mins before you make a snarky comment! :smile: - But your advice is valid as the meters are after so your right to use the correct action to access them.

So has anyone had to deal with this before? Seems its quite difficult to turn the power off to your own property. What's the correct procedure and does it normally incur costs?

Murdoch - where did I even say that I was a sparky? please read the thread - Yes a sparky has come in a quoted for the work.

The simple answer is you can't access them.
The only place you can introduce Henley blocks for the 2[SUP]nd[/SUP] feed is after YOU’RE meter.
If you’re electrician is worth his salt he would do it live.

Personally I think you’re totally over complicating things, either have you’re CU replaced in the flat or a secondary board added.

This smacks of illicit horticultural activities. Don’t forget the ventilation.

Wow Tony you are a character for sure! No its for air conditioning if you must know! But I'll call you if I ever need you to recommend some ventilation :) You may need some already those fumes are making you come to some crazy allegations!

Back on topic, Yes the henley block would be after the meter. this is why everyones advice has been helpful as the option of running the 40-50meter cable has been ruled stupid!

On the turning the power off part, I doubt they would want to work on it live. Reading just this thread here Seems that breaking the seal on the meter will be the best action, a phone call tomorrow should shed some more light on it!

Reply to Splitting Incoming Supply. Question & Ryefield access. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net