Discuss Splitting Incoming Supply. Question & Ryefield access. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

rhys24

Hi

Been working through a few options with an electrician, on how to get an 4 way db to supply some new equipment being installed.

Due to the original board being pretty full up, they don't want to split a henley block out of it. As its only 100amp board and pretty loaded up already.

So suggested this.

Run from where the mains come into the property 25mm 3 core onto the new 4 way board with 100a switch. Due to the location of this its going to need about 40-50 meters of cable and I know its not cheap!

That was the first options, upon discussing with a few other people suggested this:-

Just splitting the power before the distribution board in the property then running to the new db and the old board. Would this be any difference?

As I guess the breaker in the ryefield box would be 100 amps?

The other challenge, is that the main fuse for the property as its a london apartment is locked up in ryefield box which is locked. What's the correct way to get access to this box? It has an edf sticker on it.

Any suggestions would be great!

Thanks

You can split the tails in a Henley and have more than one CU unit.....no problem at all with that. If you want to run one set of tails over 3m then you'll need to fuse them down (80amp fuse if main fuse is 100a).

You don't say what the load will be on the second DB, if it's not gonna be much you could just run a sub-main from existing DB, I know you said it was pretty full, but would only need one spare way.

As for access to the box.......crowbar?????? :)

Hi

Been working through a few options with an electrician, on how to get an 4 way db to supply some new equipment being installed.

Due to the original board being pretty full up, they don't want to split a henley block out of it. As its only 100amp board and pretty loaded up already.

So suggested this.

Run from where the mains come into the property 25mm 3 core onto the new 4 way board with 100a switch. Due to the location of this its going to need about 40-50 meters of cable and I know its not cheap!

That was the first options, upon discussing with a few other people suggested this:-

Just splitting the power before the distribution board in the property then running to the new db and the old board. Would this be any difference?

The other challenge, is that the main fuse for the property as its a london apartment is locked up in ryefield box which is locked. What's the correct way to get access to this box? It has an edf sticker on it.

Thanks

Are you sure you dont mean the ISO switch will be 100A????? The ISO is not an mcb (breaker)!!!

I would also run the 25mm 3 core swa through a switch fuse.

Yes sorry Didn't mean to say breaker!

Second box would have just 2 x 32amp breakers. The first CU counting up all the breakers has 248amp in total.

I would also run the 25mm 3 core swa through a switch fuse. Something like this LINK

Apart from the crowbar :o_O: who should have the key? or is it a key that can just be requested as lost and replaced? As I don't really want to have to arrange any supplier out to just open the box and disconnect it!

Yes sorry Didn't mean to say breaker!

Second box would have just 2 x 32amp breakers. The first CU counting up all the breakers has 248amp in total.

I would also run the 25mm 3 core swa through a switch fuse. Something like this LINK

Apart from the crowbar :o_O: who should have the key? or is it a key that can just be requested as lost and replaced? As I don't really want to have to arrange any supplier out to just open the box and disconnect it!

Yes to the switch fuse!!!

Hi

So suggested this.

Thanks

Get another sparky in!

EDF??

Are you sure the chap you had in is actually a sparky?

Last edited by a moderator:
Henley block to a switch fuse. SWA to new board.
do your cabe calls for the SWA size as it may not need to be 25mm, fuse the switch fuse to suit your load required.
as for adding up the breakers in a board forget that as it doesn't work that. Remember a small word called diversity ( and that not the dance group)

I repeat! Who does the Ryefield board belong to?

Never seen one let alone worked on one but the O.P gives a clue;

It has an edf sticker on it.

Thanks

If the Ryefield is before the Meter it must be the DNO's.
The supplier (meter owner) only connects to the upstream fuse, i.e Ryefield.
There could be a dozen different suppliers with meters connected to the Ryefield so it can't be thiers.

Hi

So suggested this.

Thanks

Do you know the load that will be put on this 40-50m run of cable...do you know and understand about Volt drop and disconnection times...if you want a sub-main that long you may be better off paying the DNO to install it direct and put a separate meter on it so you don't have to worry about overloading the existing head.

Do you know the load that will be put on this 40-50m run of cable...do you know and understand about Volt drop and disconnection times...if you want a sub-main that long you may be better off paying the DNO to install it direct and put a separate meter on it so you don't have to worry about overloading the existing head.
does he chuff....
thats why he`s just buggered off.....
yet another thread where guesswork is supposed to provide....

Are you sure the chap you had in is actually a sparky?

Are you sure you actually had a sparky in?

I don't wish to appear rude or hostile, but your original post sounds like the sort of half-baked nonsense people come out with when they've 'had a Google' and tried to work out a plan for themselves.

Sorry Haven't run off yes was out for the evening and morning! Not using this forum as a hit and run, Do appreciate the guidance given!!

Yes they were electricians. but I think a simple job has somewhat over complicated itself, by bringing in the option of running cables from the meter room, as opposed to just splitting before the db.

The load on the 40-50 meter cable would of been 2 x 32amp breakers. But I think this idea is definitely going to be scraped as no point running it this way.

Shedding some light on the ryefield box, making some phone calls to the dno, seems they also aren't 100% sure on who owns what, so may just try and ring the number to ryefield on the box and ask for a key. (hopeful thinking!)

Sorry Haven't run off yes was out for the evening and morning! Not using this forum as a hit and run, Do appreciate the guidance given!!

Yes they were electricians. but I think a simple job has somewhat over complicated itself, by bringing in the option of running cables from the meter room, as opposed to just splitting before the db.

The load on the 40-50 meter cable would of been 2 x 32amp breakers. But I think this idea is definitely going to be scraped as no point running it this way.

Shedding some light on the ryefield box, making some phone calls to the dno, seems they also aren't 100% sure on who owns what, so may just try and ring the number to ryefield on the box and ask for a key. (hopeful thinking!)

I'd be astonished IF you have actually done this at the weekend.

Why don't you come clean, admit your not a sparky, you've not consulted a sparky and get a couple of real ones in to quote.

Reply to Splitting Incoming Supply. Question & Ryefield access. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net