Discuss Spot the mistakes! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparks72

This *Inspection* was carried out for a letting agency. I can't believe this guy charged for this rubbish. It has more value as toilet paper!
I can't tell if the installation is satisfactory or unsatifactory....neither can he!

(Contractors details were erased by myself as he might be a forum member :frown2:)

EDITED RESULTS-page-001.jpgEDITED RESULTS-page-002.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh dear do you think he knows what he is talking about? Or does he just use the random number generator? Also I cant tell
If there is rcd protection from what he writes!

The front page does state Unsatisfactory overall condition, however the RCD problem is not expanded on under observations on the 2nd page. The u/s smoke alarm I personally would list as urgent remedial and as for the “Visually not unserviceable” statement??? What kind of statement is that? Glad I’m with NAPIT. Was there a circuit results sheet accompanying this ‘report’?

Zs is too high, smoke alarm isn't working and a socket in the kitchen isn't earthed so the overall condition is unsatisfactory.
The condition of the consumer unit however is satisfactory so doesn't need to be changed.
There is RCD protection on some circuits but not all, presumably the lighting is not RCD protected as this was wired to 16th edition.

This is why you need the schedule of test results as well.

Well all Elecsa are likely to say is that if the client wants to make a complaint they will ask him to visit site again and do it again

Nice to think the schemes have sharp teeth (not)!!

A Domestic Visual Condition Report ?? is this legal I thought it was EICR or nothing so tell me this not legal because there will be a lot of letting agents latching on to this to get £50 DVCRs instead of £150 EICRs this is about as bad as a "Rolling PIR"

One other point to mention this type of thing can be industry driven so you may find that a "Hybrid" EICR is agreed on for letting agents so as I have said before this could go down the road of a EICR every 5 years and a "Hybrid" EICR or DVCR every time the tenant changes between these periods. Also for anybody who says this wont happen remember these are hard time and no registration company will want to rock the boat plus it could be something for the government of the day to run with.

Have seen many many fairy tale PIRs from all scheme providers. We have a local NIC guy, locally known as "shocker" ( we like our nicknames in Wales) who distributes Jackonory paperwork. I re-inspected one job on a village hall recently where he had RCD dis times on a system with No RCD and gas and water bonding ticked when water was missing and there was no gas service. Schedule of inspections was hilarious. This guy seems to be clueless too.

Have never seen one of these "Visual reports" before, cant find them on the Elecsa shop either

Last edited:
Looks like a visual report, never done one and would never do one to be fair as I see them as pointless. Pir form and easy cert both have them listed now tho.

Looks like a visual report, never done one and would never do one to be fair as I see them as pointless. Pir form and easy cert both have them listed now tho.

I take this is in the BGB or the onsite guide and if not how can they quote it on the form

And it's both unsatisfactory and visually not unsatisfactory? Urgent remedial work for item 1? Not worth the printer ink. I suppose if I were to entertain these visual only reports they would be at clients insistence and you'd have to have a really good look (and by the time you've done that, you could have tested)

Am I picking this up right are we saying this is a legal and sanctioned document can anybody clarify ? Because should we not be saying to a letting agent sorry I cannot issue a VIR as it does not exist and if it did its the first time I have heard of it.

The NIC created teh VI Report..... the version been used here is from Easy Cert with an elecsa logo attached...!

i use them when potential buyers what a electrical report for buying a house..! just to assertain if there is any "Visual" or "Obvious" dangers...!

bit like a RICS survey for valuation !! ALL VISUAL.......!! with recommendations to get a FULL report done etc..

£50 quid for 20mins work!

and also used between tennancy's to check for damage and BOND deducting tactics!! lol

A Visual Condition report would probably be useful for the change of occupancy between Periodics, or just a check between Periodics. Other than that I don't think its much use other than as a bit of a bluff to get work - the job must have been done thoroughly as I have a certificate type of thing.

Have never seen one of these "Visual reports" before, cant find them on the Elecsa shop either
The print at the top of the certificate looks dubious to me. Probably scanned a form then *******ised it for their own use.

The most obvious mistake is this guy thinks he knows how to fill a report sheet in,however maybe there needs to be an extra column in the results so he can tick DK you know the thing,were you either put a value or NA if it doesnt apply well maybe he needs DK in a column (DK=don,t know)

Reply to Spot the mistakes! in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net