Search the forum,

Discuss Stepping on another electricians toes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

littlespark

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Whats everyone's thoughts on this?

I've been asked to finish off another sparks work. I've not looked at the job yet, but know it mainly involves central heating wiring.
The customer says that the electrician that has done the work up to now cant find the time to finish off, and the heating engineer would like to commission his work.
There has been a number of delays for the customer already and he doesn't want another one.
I don't know if the original spark has been told he's no longer required.
I'll test the supply to the heating, but not the whole installation (unless they ask me to)
If I find something wrong with the rest of the house, do I drop the original spark in it? (I'll post pics here if there is :))

what ever you do by taking on the job. you set price for any of the cr*p you find and have to sort out and putting in writing and get them to sign it or walk away.

Last edited:
I just hope he hasn’t ballsed up the wiring between the stats, valves and programmer.
I don’t personally know the customer, but it’s a small town, I’ll know someone that knows someone that knows them.
I can’t imagine it’s only the heating that needs finished off, it’s a new build. It could develop into more work

[QUOTE="littlespark, post: 1306142, member: 103809"]I just hope he hasn’t ballsed up the wiring between the stats, valves and programmer.
I don’t personally know the customer, but it’s a small town, I’ll know someone that knows someone that knows them.
I can’t imagine it’s only the heating that needs finished off, it’s a new build. It could develop into more work[/QUOTE]

Nowt like finding you're one conductor short,as the paint dries on the new plaster...:)

There'll almost certainly be more to this than you are initially being told. I'd commit to nothing but a looking at.
In truth, as soon as I am told a job "just needs finishing off" I'm already 99% decided I'm not going to go anywhere near it.

Been in this situation a few times. There's always 2 sides to the story! Best thing is to find out what the crack is way before you commit to undertaking any work.
On one particular job I didn't take my own advice, only to get stung a fair way into the job - 4k's worth! Turned out the customer (a commercial job) hadn't paid any recent bills and owed money all over the show. A year or so after I was offered 1p per pound owed by the creditors. I'm still waiting for payment now, 10 years later!

Could be he simply hasn't the time to get back, it has happened to me on numerous occasions where delays and customer changes have stopped me from finishing and I've had to go onto the next job as I'm too busy not to. Just recently I passed work onto another spark to finish a rewire I was doing as I wasn't going to be able to get back to it any time soon and customer had other trades coming in.

you guys are scaring me now! :0

The customers seem genuine enough, I went to the job this morning. They've had a number of problems with other trades, not just the electrician who is busy on other jobs on farms. They seem keen that I can finish off the entire job for them. Its a new build, and I finished off the heating system, apart from a programmer which ill get tomorrow.
Its a small 3 bed new build. Need to fit a few switches and sockets, connect up the board and do a test. I'll take my time on that as it was someone elses job.
I'll invoice them up to what I do tomorrow, and wait until I get paid before committing to do the rest of the work.

you guys are scaring me now! :0

The customers seem genuine enough, I went to the job this morning. They've had a number of problems with other trades, not just the electrician who is busy on other jobs on farms. They seem keen that I can finish off the entire job for them. Its a new build, and I finished off the heating system, apart from a programmer which ill get tomorrow.
Its a small 3 bed new build. Need to fit a few switches and sockets, connect up the board and do a test. I'll take my time on that as it was someone elses job.
I'll invoice them up to what I do tomorrow, and wait until I get paid before committing to do the rest of the work.

Are they wanting you to issue an installation cert and notify the job too ?

perhaps original spark wasn't registered with a scam and they are hoping you will take all of their troubles away. Ive only had this once, went to test and it was an absolute abortion, I walked away would rather loose a few £ than put my name to something just to help somebody but never be able to sleep at night! 1 bit of advice for being self employed, TRUST NO ONE

Could be a disagreement, could be an awkward customer, who knows.
Playing devils advocate - there are plenty of carp sparks out there; surly, grumpy, disagreeable, poor workmanship, etc.. I would subjectively call another sparks work into question. And would do it objectively if they were really bad!!

Ye I'd speak with the original spark first, problem is you might already have spoken to them (The customer) :eek: I've come across this a few times to be honest. Either way good luck :thumbsup:

On visually inspecting, I don't think theres anything wrong with the installation as it stands. I'll be checking behind switches for earthed back boxes, of course. :)

, I went to the job this morning. They've had a number of problems with other trades, not just the electrician who is busy on other jobs on farms. They seem keen that I can finish off the entire job for them. Its a new build, and I finished off the heating system, apart from a programmer which ill get tomorrow.

Either they are very unlucky or perhaps they aren't the best of people to deal with?

Either they are very unlucky or perhaps they aren't the best of people to deal with?
I came across a lovely couple who got totally ripped off by a number of trades, basically because they where gullible and very trusting of people. They were vulnerable and taken advantage of.
I helped them out and got things fixed or finished for as minimal cost to them as possible.
They were for ever grateful and we remained friends to this day. My reward was not money but the feel good factor for doing my little bit to help some decent folk out.

Unfortunately these type of folk are few and far between.

As a self employed trades man you have to be aware of the dodgy ones!

If as you say it is a small town and the original spark has NOT got a bad reputation that you know of ; because it travels faster than a F1 car , it would be ringing alarm bells for me .
I am in the 'speak to him camp'.

Has this other spark been paid up for the work he has done up to press ?
I would be very wary ,it sounds to me
that if this new buid punter had difficulties with other trades then
there is usually a problem involving money. Just don't give him everything he needs at yours and others expense.

Be very careful. I have had this sort of thing.

Firstly only issue an eicr for work that has been completed and tell them to check that is OK with building control if they are involved.

Also do not give them much credit. Get a 25% deposit before you start. Tell them your payment terms and get regular payment.

As a general rule sparkles finish jobs so they can get paid. When one has 'disappeared' there is usually a reason and that is often about money.

Also don't work cheap, stick the money up. My opinion is that you don't want to encourage customers or builders to bin sparkles off after 1st fix and get another sparky in. I have been there twice. I offer eicr and charge 2nd fixed money (50%) to sort it out, this is for white plastic, if they want metal sockets etc it's extra. The customer gets the job done, I don't sign for eic and if they want me to do the job I earn great money.

Heres what I know now. The original spark is too busy just now, and customers had organised a replacement heating engineer to commission the boiler, so they needed a stand in quickly.
The original heating engineer created a number of problems... supplying a second hand boiler, installing a pump when there was on in the boiler and running the gas pipe in the wrong place. GasSafe got involved.
In the end, the commissioning didn't get done, so it was a waste of time for them to get me involved.
Ive got the number of the spark, and I'm going to speak to him, explaining what ive done and see if he minds me getting involved, or indeed finishing the job for him.

The customer is a builder himself, so I don't think non-payment is an issue... He would lose jobs if played around like that.

Ive got the number of the spark, and I'm going to speak to him, explaining what ive done and see if he minds me getting involved, or indeed finishing the job for him.
The customer is a builder himself, so I don't think non-payment is an issue... He would lose jobs if played around like that.
its not down to you to speak to the last spark. its down to the last person who employed him ..has for the builder they like to nail you boots down for a good price .

its not down to you to speak to the last spark. its down to the last person who employed him ..has for the builder they like to nail you boots down for a good price .

I agree with you , but I would still like a word with him for his side. There may be more to it.
A builder who cannot recognize a cowboy at work...

The electrician wasn't the problem....
However, I'm having a lil problem with the wiring for the boiler. Everything was already supplied, but theres no installation instructions on site. I'll be posting what I know on the heating forum.

The customer being a builder means he's handy with the bricks.... but he doesn't know what the electrical or gas work entails.
As long as he pays, eh.

[QUOTE="littlespark, post: 1306142, member: 103809"]I just hope he hasn’t ballsed up the wiring between the stats, valves and programmer.
I can’t imagine it’s only the heating that needs finished off, it’s a new build. It could develop into more work

Nowt like finding you're one conductor short,as the paint dries on the new plaster...:)[/QUOTE]

There's always the CPC - just sleeve it brown and jobs a goodun....

I'd look at it, check that the wiring is all there, room stat , programmer etc etc connect it test it , turn it on and take the dough.

Turning it on was a problem too.... There wasn't a dedicated circuit to the boiler.. the feed was coming from the downstairs RFC, which wasn't finished. The upstairs sockets were on, so I made up a flex with a plugtop just to check everything worked.

Reply to Stepping on another electricians toes? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net