Discuss Stopping Rusting Tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

R

russty

Anybody have any solutions to stop tools rusting that are left in the van overnight?
Not much of a problem with the hand tools but the drill bits and the chuck rusting up on my new dewalt drill driver.
Any other option than giving them a once over with wd40?

Cheers

So the makita and dewalt cases are no good then....... Best find myself some huge sandwich boxes!

down to internal external temp, also a drill bit is all metal and a drill is both metal and plastic (thus plastic acts as an insulator) the chuck is obviously a large mass of metal also so stores cold overnight the when van heats up the chuck sweats thus rust begins. is your van ply lined?

Last edited by a moderator:
A nice thin coating of engine oil once and again would definitly stop the rust. I used to use this when I was a kid to stop my used fishing gear going rusty in the garage.

Anybody have any solutions to stop tools rusting that are left in the van overnight?
Not much of a problem with the hand tools but the drill bits and the chuck rusting up on my new dewalt drill driver.
Any other option than giving them a once over with wd40?

Cheers

Coat 'em in WD40. All my hand tools, power tools, and 'bits' get a squirt of it every other month.

down to internal external temp, also a drill bit is all metal and a drill is both metal and plastic (thus plastic acts as an insulator) the chuck is obviously a large mass of metal also so stores cold overnight the when van heats up the chuck sweats thus rust begins. is your van ply lined?

No van dosent leak at all but it isint ply lined, would that help then?

use Thompsons damp proof fluid , frees anything snips pliars etc and keeps rust at bay, I asked a damproofer for some about ten yrs ago and he gave me about a pint of the stuff and I,ve still got more than half left

Last edited by a moderator:

Reply to Stopping Rusting Tools in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I was working alongside the plumber yesterday. I had to drill some 32mm holes through joists. I always use my Makita 481 high torque drill will a...
Replies
Views
I am trying to understand how a relay system works and have designed a circuit and a ladder diagram all as attached for an 8 PIN relay, a current...
Replies
Views
im not sure where to post this.. and I need help [ I posted here because i guess Heating systems may need a hole this big , and this is the only...
Replies
Views
Hi all. In a bit of a situation which is starting to cause a fair bit of stress and figured maybe asking some silly questions here may help to...
Replies
Views
Hi there, This might be a bit of a long shot, but doesn't hurt to try. I'm based in South West London (Richmond/Twickenham) and I'm about 7 weeks...
Replies
Views

Electricians Tools | Electrical Tools and Products

Thanks for visiting ElectriciansForums.net, we hope you find the Electricians Tools you're looking for. It's free to sign up to and post a question yourself to find a tool or tool supplier either local to you, or online. Our community of electricians and electrical engineers will do their best to find the best tool supplier for you.

We also have a Tiling Tools advice from the worlds largest Tiling community. And then the Plumbers Forums with Plumbers Tools Advice.

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

YOUR Unread Posts

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by untold.media Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock