Discuss SWA along a fence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

skippy2

Can someone settle an argument please. Can you run SWA along a fence at a height clear of the ground supported at the relevant distances to the out building? Trenching is not an option due to sewer pipes and bt/ comms cables running across the garden.

Simple answer; Yes!

Just as long as the fence is of a suitable, stable and permanent construction.

Agreed, as long as it's a permanent fixture.

Just use common sense when installing... if the fence is falling to bits, then re-think things, exactly the same as if you had to chase into a wall which was crumbling.

I agree that you can, I just don't if there is another option. I realise skippy has said that a trench is not do-able so there may not be an alternative, but I would want to be 100% that the fence is sound as the cable could be there for a very long time!

Not something i would do by choice, not with the crap panel fencing they sell at the likes of B&Q and Wickes etc. Those panels are so thin nowadays, you'll be lucky to sink a 1'' screw in them without seeing it come out the other side!! lol!!

Had a similar situation recently, customer was very concerned about trenching as he has "spent years getting the flower beds to this level" and neighbour wasn't keen on having swa fixed to his fence.

So I got 2x2 tantalised timber, cut into 3' posts and tapered at one end, we drove them into the ground tight to the gravel boards at exact centres of the fence posts (between the posts) and fixed decking boards side on at the same height as the fence panel bottom rail.

So unless your right up against them it appears to be fixed to the fence directly, however my method appeased both the customers worry a and that of his neighbour.

Latest issue of Professional Electrician concurs Manfredmann. There is an article about wiring to outbuildings from ELESCA and it says that whilst BS7671 does not prohibit fixing to fences, good practice would be to fix to a wall or use a buried method.

Latest issue of Professional Electrician concurs Manfredmann. There is an article about wiring to outbuildings from ELESCA and it says that whilst BS7671 does not prohibit fixing to fences, good practice would be to fix to a wall or use a buried method.

But then there are fences and there are fences.:D

another this scam thinks....that scam thinks...

so i said so she said so i said so she said...

Exactly what I thought! I was going to post something along the same lines but then I thought I'd just start sounding like a broken record!

Since when has a corporate entity ever been an authority on anything electrical?!

Exactly what I thought! I was going to post something along the same lines but then I thought I'd just start sounding like a broken record!

Since when has a corporate entity ever been an authority on anything electrical?!
well i am a broken record....
the amount of times i have had to say `you dont need to be in a scam to do ECRs`...etc...lol

Reply to SWA along a fence in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net