Discuss SWA cable calculations!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Pud

-
Reaction score
Ive been asked to confirm the maxium possible supply for an existing SWA sub main and I know im doing something wrong with my cable calculations.
Its a 10mm 3 core SWA currently on a b40 on a split load boad but its about 120m run ( direct burial) and they want to run an airsource heat pump.
each time I work it out I either get 23a or 60a !!!
Any help would be much appreciated

They have 2 options they are considering at the mo requiring either a 42 or 30 a supply. But I was just trying to work out wot I can run on that 10mm SWA before considering everything they would like on the end of it.

They have 2 options they are considering at the mo requiring either a 42 or 30 a supply. But I was just trying to work out wot I can run on that 10mm SWA before considering everything they would like on the end of it.
WELL TELL YOUR CLIENT WHEN THEY MAKE UP THE MIND THEN ,YOU CAN CALCLATE THE LOADING FOR THE JOB .

What is the loading of the pump.
At the moment I have very limited information and after a look last night I was concerned about the existing cable size and proposed set up.
It will be a pool house supply so air source heat pump to heat water circulation pump power lighting ect
Proposed is The circulation pump requires 0.56kw and the heat pump model has a recommended supply capacity of 31A with a recommended supply fuse of 42A.) or a smaller version at a 30 a supply.
and to make matters worse its a TT supply

Last edited:
Lighting and power will mean this is a distribution circuit so volt drop needs reducing as lighting is involved. 2% is often a rule of thumb to allow an additional 1% for the lighting drop. On this basis I would say the cable should be at least 35mm.

Thanks Guys guess I was kind of hoping that I didn't have to tell the customer that the "40a" supply the previous electrician installed last year was not sutible

Reply to SWA cable calculations!! in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net