Discuss Tape light receiver/driver help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi

I’m going to add some strip lighting (tape lights) into a walk in wardrobe and hopefully this should be straight forward and I’d like to do this task myself, I already have a socket in the area but no switches so I’ve bought a Quinetic receiver and wireless switch and a Ansell driver and tape lights

I can change the socket to fused spur but this is where my questions begin

The quinetic receiver is 6 amp so is that the fuse that I need in the fused spur and what thickness of cable would I need between the fused spur and receiver? It will be around 20cm from the fused spur

Also is there a minimum distance between the receiver and driver or can they sit side by side
The Quinetic part number is QUR303
The Ansell driver part number is AD75W

Any help greatly appreciated

In almost every case a 3A fuse is your choice.

Exceptions are things taking more than 750W or with very big switch-on surges. The 6A it talks about includes the load, that is a lot of lighting! The driver you mention is going to take well under 1A but might blow a 1A fuse due to surges, so 3A would be a sane choice and an easy fuse to source (you can get 1,2,3,5,7,10 and 13A but many are not easy to find).

These days lighting should be on a RCD protected supply, do you know if your sockets are protected? A look in your CU = counsumer unit = fusebox should show any RCD, it will have a test button and ought to mention 30mA as its sensitivity.
[automerge]1588535674[/automerge]
For the cable you can use anything from 0.5mm and larger with a 3A fuse, but you might find 0.75mm cable easier to work with.

If you need two outlets (to keep a single socket and add a FCU beside it) you can use a twin back box such as these:
https://www.NoLinkingToThis/c/elect...#category=cat7230011&numberofgangs=1___1_gang

But they are wider than a double so wall needs cutting out, and no going back! Of course you can put two single sockets in if you really did need to go back.

Last edited by a moderator:
For your response @pc1966

The consumer unit was fit earlier this year and is British General CFSWP110 100A Mains Switch, 10 x RCBOs (3 x 6A, 2 x 16A, 4 x 32A & 1 x 40A) if that helps
I have some 3 amp fuses and 0.75 cable so that’s good

Is the receiver and driver ok side by side

Thanks

That is great to hear, an all-RCBO setup is definitely your best choice!

So you can use any FCU for feeding it and cable/fuses are just fine.

Reply to Tape light receiver/driver help in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net