Discuss testing a ring in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

W

waitees

Hi

Could someone please tell me the correct way to do insulation resistance test on a ring circuit, i have have been shown a couple of different ways and want to make sure i am doing this correctly.

Thanks Paul

Hi,
The way I normally do it is both the line conductors clipped together, both neutrals and both cpc's.

500v on tester and you want a reading of over >2M ohms.

hope this helps,
Sav

Hi again,
I was a bit vague with my description, but do it as acat says (with the lines clipped together, neutrals together and cpc's)

Thanks acat,
Sav

Hi again,
I was a bit vague with my description, but do it as acat says (with the lines clipped together, neutrals together and cpc's)

Call me strange, but I don't see the point of clipping the cables for a ring...

Ring continuity should be checked before insulation resistance, so is there a method to this madness?

Call me strange, but I don't see the point of clipping the cables for a ring...

Ring continuity should be checked before insulation resistance, so is there a method to this madness?

How would do an insulation resistance for a ring final circuit then ??

Thanks and regards,
Sav

I agree no need to clip them together as you are doing an IR test it does not serve a purpose. I would however clip linve and neutral together on one clip and earth on the other and do this test first. That way anything that may have been left on the circuit or neons wont effect the reading nor will any damage be done.

Chris

I agree no need to clip them together as you are doing an IR test it does not serve a purpose. I would however clip linve and neutral together on one clip and earth on the other and do this test first. That way anything that may have been left on the circuit or neons wont effect the reading nor will any damage be done.

Chris
That maybe so for a periodic, but for initial verification on a new installation ??

After you've finished with your continuity tests, before you reconnect any cables, choose one end of the ring (make sure none of the wires on the other end are touching) and do your IR tests the same as you would for a radial.

SIMPLES:D

Last edited by a moderator:
so am i right saying that you connect the phase from one leg and neutral from the other leg then test on the other end of phase and netural then repeat for phase to earth and neutral to earth.

thanks for responses

That maybe so for a periodic, but for initial verification on a new installation ??

Its suitable for both so I am told and was given 612.3.3 of BRB I do however agree on inital verification nothing should be plugged in but you may still have neons to contend with.

Chris

I must admit i do clip them together just in case i get zapped by the return legs , how i do it is live to earth neutral to earth and live to neutral , but first do the test on 250 volts just in case something is plugged in , if i get a suspect reading i double check for any plugged in items once im sure i then retest at 500 volts , its a longer process but cheaper than having to replace a washing machine or worse thats taking into account that the continuity test is ok

Last edited by a moderator:
I must admit i do clip them together just in case i get zapped by the return legs , how i do it is live to earth neutral to earth and live to neutral ,but first do the test on 250 volts just in case something is plugged in , if i get a suspect reading i double check for any plugged in items once im sure i then retest at 500 volts , its a longer process but cheaper than having to replace a washing machine or worse

I take it all back that is a good reason for joining them together and I think knowing me it is bound to happen so I think I will start doing that;)

Chris

Reply to testing a ring in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net