Discuss Testing of domestic property. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Had a chap around yesterday evening to give me a quote for some plasterboard work. Seems he also has recently qualified in his testing capacity. Without naming names here is his profile
"
i have been in the electrical trade for 9 years, I qualified 5 years ago and passed my testing and inspecting qualifications last year. Working on industrial and domestic projects.
I have been plastering now for 20 years with local builders and property developers, also helping the DIY enthusiast to improve there own homes."

So when he visited yesterday I thought I would ask him about testing my place. As soon as I mentioned I have a 3 phase supply he said no could not do that. This I found a bit strange, maybe naively, as I assumed it could be treated like 3 seperate units. The kitchen and utility are on one phase, with downstairs and upstairs each having their own phase.

If he has indeed worked on Industrial Projects, then he's worked on 3 phase.

The only limitation maybe his Insurance doesn't cover him for 3ph in Domestic properties.

Either that or he's cut and pasted someone else's background

If he has indeed worked on Industrial Projects, then he's worked on 3 phase.

The only limitation maybe his Insurance doesn't cover him for 3ph in Domestic properties.

Either that or he's cut and pasted someone else's background

I did think when his profile mentioned industrial I immediately though ah 3 phase.

Some PLI insurance does stipulate three phase. IIRC mine had 3 options. Never, occasionally and frequently.
But presumably if working in the industrial sector he would have this.

In fairness knowing your own limitations is a good thing so testing 3ph may not be something he's familiar or comfortable with and being honest about it is a plus in my mind.

The guy literally has a picture of a three phase board on his mybuilder profile. Looks very neat and a brand new install from scratch. So he's telling some half truths at best in some way or another.

The guy literally has a picture of a three phase board on his mybuilder profile. Looks very neat and a brand new install from scratch. So he's telling some half truths at best in some way or another.
Fair enough I can't see the profile link for some reason.

Some PLI insurance does stipulate three phase. IIRC mine had 3 options. Never, occasionally and frequently.
But presumably if working in the industrial sector he would have this.

In fairness knowing your own limitations is a good thing so testing 3ph may not be something he's familiar or comfortable with and being honest about it is a plus in my mind.
Could it niot be treated as 3 seperate systems, each phase has its own CU?

Could it niot be treated as 3 seperate systems, each phase has its own CU?

If it has a seperate CU for each phase then the report would consist of three schedules of test results, one for each CU.
If all circuits are single phase then there is very little difference as far as testing goes, in fact the only differences I can think of is that the phase rotation would be checked (as a box ticking exercise if all loads are single phase) and the prospective short circuit current would be recorded as the L-L value instead of L-N.

However a lot of people are just scared of the words 'three phase' and generally speaking those people are more likely to not be fully qualified electricians.

Personally i would be very wary of a plasterer who claims to also be competent to carry out electrical work.

Oh ye of little faith ;) That is exactly how I saw it being like 3 different arrangements, each having their own report. I will now look up someone who is happy to do my place.
Thanks for all the replies guys.

Oh ye of little faith ;) That is exactly how I saw it being like 3 different arrangements, each having their own report. I will now look up someone who is happy to do my place.
Thanks for all the replies guys.
if you post your location (UK is quite a big lump of real estate), one of us may be local to you.

No mention of scheme membership though.

Agree with above. Theres nothing 3 phase in a domestic property...
There are 3 x single phase supplies however.

If the guy doesn't know the difference, I wouldn't trust him with the plastering, nevermind the electrickety

Agree with above. Theres nothing 3 phase in a domestic property...
There are 3 x single phase supplies however.

Strictly speaking it will be a 3 phase supply which is then split so that each phase feeds a seperate CU (in this case, it could also be a 3 phase board feeding single phase loads)

Reply to Testing of domestic property. in the Electrical Testing & PAT Testing Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net