Discuss Testing Voltage drop using circuit impedance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

T

TonyM58

Ok guys

got my head in the 17th edition

New bit in Part 6 Inspection and testing (used to part 7 in 16th)

612.14 - "the voltage drop may be evaluated by measuring the circuit impedance" :eek:

managed to find the same query on another forum, and lots of views on there about how you would actually do it (most of which, to be honest were very theoretical) and not 'set your meter to this, and measure that' type answers

What I need is a simple procedure as to how this would be done - naturally the regs dont actually telly you!!!!!:mad::mad:

And please dont say'just work it out using mV/A/M'

Been there and (on occasion) done that;)

This is something new and i would be interested on how you guys think it can be achieved :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Cirrus

yeah had a look earlier, emailed you back

Not good news i'm afraid.......:eek:

anyway, these v.drops using impedance..... c'mon guys.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

*Drums his fingers*

"Yeah, come on guys"

(Sorry, I'm bored. Going to sign off for the night methinks. Laters)

Ok Tony i'll give it a bash, not sure if im on the right track with this but here goes...:eek:

lb x R1+Rn / Ca Ci Cg Cr (factoring where appropiate) = Vd

This is new to me so apologies if ive just embarrased myself....lol...:eek: let me know what you think.
Regards,
MacSparky

Last edited by a moderator:
Mac,

yeah thats pretty much what i thought,

but applying that practically is more complicated.:rolleyes:

If you mearsure R1+Rn at the extremity of the circuit, you will also be including the external Z of the cirucuit.

So possibly, measure incoming Z (no load) Line to neutral. Measure Z at extremity, take this from incoming Z, will give you R1+Rn, although impedance rather than resistance.

if you multiply this by Ib, you get 'design' voltage drop. Alternatively if you multiply it by In, you get MAXIMUM voltage drop. plus your correction factors)

It seems a bit simplistic, but say if a radial circuit was designed to supply, say, a 2Kw load. If you was to measure Uo (or is it UoSTC now?) at incoming, then measure V at the load with load pulling design current, then, then that difference in voltage would be, basically the voltage drop.;)

The book says you dont need to verify this on initial verification, but on PIR's......:p:p

Well thats cheered me up:D...nice to see i was on the right track, bring on the year 2 exams lol...:rolleyes:
Btw...had my year 2 practical assessment yesterday....think it went ok:cool:

Mac,

if you put an answer like that as a year 2 student.........:eek:

then good on ya,!!! i have spent many years in college, fairly high level, but i was stumped for a while:eek:

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

I have these books, purchased them from amazon about 3 months ago and paid about £17 for both vol's-(book 1) as above, copyright springs to mind LScotty:confused:...people like that grate on me:mad:

Reply to Testing Voltage drop using circuit impedance in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock