Search the forum,

Discuss that horrible word TAX in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

johnh1986

Hi i recently went sole trader via HMRC and they have sent me a letter to say i am CIS (construction industry scheme) now im confused as i dont know what it means also on the bottom of the letter it states that it does not confirm im self employed unless the contract and terms and rules of the employer says i am also how much do you pay woth class 4 NI please cheers

Fortuantly i have just checked my HMRC print off and i have applied for self assessment class 2 NIC they have sent me CIS class 4 stuff there fault big style im expecting a tax rebate for there stuff up haha i should be so lucky thanks everybody see they do make mistakes proof on paper glad i printed it off now

I might be wrong but as far as I am aware, class 2 contributions are nothing to worry about, just £13 or so a month Direct Debit. Your Class 4 contributions are calculated on your taxable income after expenses, I think at around 8%.

IR35 Regulations will determine your 'employment status', but if you are working on a site, you shouldn't be affected as this is the normal setup.

So all that will happen is that you will work, invoice, get paid minus 20% then do a self assessment tax return to adjust the difference between what you have paid in tax and NI, and what you should have paid which usually works in your favour once you take into account the tax you have paid on untaxable income (allowance) and expenses.

This tax return is due AFTER the end of the tax year, so if you have just gone self-employed, you won't have to do anything until after 5th April 2014.

if you choose to pay an accountant to do your self-assessment, don't pay more than £250 all in.

No there was a box to say is your work in construction i said yes which i assumed was the right thing to say as it could be i suppose or is the type of work we do not class as the construction industry

Thanks voltz but now read a few posts it maybe me that made the mistake i will up date you all tomorrow with whos fault it is regardless im saying theres haha i think they take enuff of my money in the past through taxes

Hahaha i all ready do set up a special account with a bank and everything so it goes in there as a tax fund which i dont really have great access to so dont really think about it just go and pay it and use a complete different bank for my money

Hahaha i all ready do set up a special account with a bank and everything so it goes in there as a tax fund which i dont really have great access to so dont really think about it just go and pay it and use a complete different bank for my money

At leasr my way earns me the odd prize whilst how much interest does the bank pay??

Are the hard i had a word with an accountant i no he said there easy do they come thru the post or do you do it online what things do you need to put on and wen do you have to do them

This is just your NI payment For being self employed, as all future taxes, income and vat are now payable online only, you need to setup account with HM Customs online, and pay NI Insurance monthly.

Reply to that horrible word TAX in the Business Related area at ElectriciansForums.net