Discuss The BGB and caravans: ambiguity? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net

Section 721 supplements or modifies the general requirements - Parts 1 to 6 - for:

• All leisure accommodation vehicles (residential park homes, mobile homes, caravans, motor caravans)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Residential park homes + leisure accommodation vehicles (mobile homes, caravans, motor caravans)

• Mobile homes, caravans and motor caravans only

• Caravans (as defined in Part 2) only

• Total voters

happysteve

-
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Reaction score
Eh up. :)

This thread concerned some questions by nickjohn about caravan park wiring. In post #35, I chipped in my four-pennorth, and (almost as a by-the-by) I gave my opinion that, as we were talking about "static caravans" (definition below), I didn't think that section 721 of the BGB - "Electrical installations in caravans and motor caravans" - applied. This wasn't really relevant to the thread (where the particular requirements of section 708 - "Electrical installations in caravan / camping parks and similar locations" - are the ones we're interested in): but it sparked some interesting debate about interpretation of the regs - roughly posts #35 to #49.

On page 2 of the BGB it says, "It is the constant aim of the IET and BSI to improve the quality of our products and services. We would be grateful if anyone finding inaccuracy or ambiguity whilst using this British Standard would inform the Secretary...."

So, it could be that I'm the only one confused. Thought I'd do a straw poll and gather opinions on folks' interpretations of what the BGB intends to mean, to see if there was any genuine ambiguity in the trade.

Definitions

I believe the following definitions, as defined in Part 2 of BS 7671: 2008 (incorporating Amendment No 1:2011), are relevant:

P24 Caravan
P24 Caravan park/camping pitch
P24 Caravan pitch
P24 Caravan pitch electrical supply equipment
P29 Leisure accommodation vehicle
P31 Mobile home
P31 Mobile caravan
P33 Residential park home

In the original thread, nickjohn was talking about "static caravans" - those that can't be towed on the road, but can be moved around on site, and are used seasonally (ie not residential). Under the BGB definitions, these are mobile homes.

Right, let's fine out how this poll thingy works. Prepare for epic fail...

Lol, I picked up a BGB copy in Kenya earlier this week and it has no reference of caravan requirements whatsoever.

Reply to The BGB and caravans: ambiguity? in the Electrical Wiring, Theories and Regulations area at ElectriciansForums.net