Discuss The induced EMF can be found by...........? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

Im a complete beginner and looking into the lvl 2 2365 syllabus to see what i need to be studying. I came across some multiple choice questions and came up against the below question, can you please direct me to some good vids/sites etc that will help me to understand. I need taking back to the basics! :)

The induced e.m.f. can be found by...
  • E = B + L + v
  • E = B + L - v
  • E = B x L x v
  • E = B - L - v
I dont know how far into the curriculum this info would be learned so if im getting way ahead of myself please let me know. I dont want to try to run before i can walk.

Thanks all,

Many folk struggle to understand electricity because it can really be seen so they don't have a real-world way to visualise it. Probably the best analogue for it is plumbing and the behaviour of water (or any other contained fluid like hydraulic oil).

EMF is the driving force for electric current, analogous to the the supply pressure for a water system. Current is effectively the flow of water (Ampere = Coulomb per second, say equivalent to litre/second of water flow) and resistance the effect of pipes to make it harder for water to flow (so proportional the length of pipe and inverse to diameter, approximately, just as conductor size and cable length matter). While not entirely the same, you can also see that too much pressure for the pipe risk it busting the wall and water gong everywhere, same idea as too much volts causing insulation breakdown. Roughly speaking.

So far, so good. What you are asking about is induced EMF from a magnetic field and this is the basis of a generator and transformer. You can look up Maxwell's equations for the detail, but that would be VERY unhelpful here. The key for induced stuff is that the electric field depends on the rate of change of the magnetic flux that the conductor crosses, same as how the magnetic effect depends on the flow of current (i.e. rate of change of electric charge). There is a magnetomotive force as well, the magnetic version of EMF.

So in something like a generator where you have a wire moving in a magnetic field (physically driven by a steam turbine or whatever the prime mover is) you can quickly see the voltage is going to depend upon the product of:

• How strong the magnetic field is (B)
  • Velocity wire is moving relative to B (v)
  • Length of wire, typically made in to coils for compact shape (L)

Hopefully you can now answer the question?

Last edited:
The three wrong answers also stand out like a sore thumb as they are dimensionally invalid operations. I would have hoped for them to be wrong in slightly more subtle ways.

If its proportional too that's a TIMES .
( Sore thumbs ... Left or riGht ? )

( this is DNO stuff , we are used to capacitively induced emf )

Last edited:
Just to add, you can have different reasons for the changing magnetic field:
  • Fixed magnet, moving wire (dynamo)
  • Fixed wire, moving magnet (alternator)
  • Fixed wire, time-varying field (transformer)
All of them work in reverse, so generators can be motors and vice-versa, and transformers work both ways (i.e. 'primary' and 'secondary' are defined more by what they were intended to do, not by how they are built).

As a sparky it is very unlikely you will ever need to calculate stuff for motor/generator kit. But transformers are common, and you need to be aware of the EMC issues of close conductors causing interaction due to capacitive and/or magnetic effects (even if just to recognise they happen, and to make sure power stuff and sensitive stuff are kept physically apart or screened).

Missed one out .. While we are all running about like headless chickens.
Electronics nemesis --
Just to add, you can have different reasons for the changing magnetic field:
  • Fixed magnet, moving wire (dynamo)
  • Fixed wire, moving magnet (alternator)
  • Fixed wire, time-varying field (transformer)
EMP from nuclear devices ! ( apocalypse )

Missed one out .. While we are all running about like headless chickens.
Electronics nemesis --

EMP from nuclear devices ! ( apocalypse )

If that happens again I suspect most of us would have other things to worry about instead of C&G exams!

(I say "again" for a reason, look up Starfish Prime if interested)

can't the powers that be utilise this emf to neutralise corona? Quatermass could do it.

Back in the 90’s, EMF were an alternative rock band from the Forest of Dean. The genre at the time called “baggy” after the clothes fashion at the time,
Biggest and debut hit was titled “unbelievable” , but I preferred the B side...
also titled EMF

JohnsonsAces: here is a nice Youtube mini-tutorial on Faraday's (Second) Law of electromagnetic induction - EMF E = B x L x v

Don't be put off by the mathematical symbology - just keep mulling it over until you get it.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqq11Id_x5E

I leave it to you to find out about Faraday's First Law of EMI and Mr Fleming's rules.

Form some pictures or models in your mind like this youtube clip provides to understand what Faraday and Fleming discovered. If you are feeling enthused by the topic also look up what Mr Lenz said. Then explain it all to someone to reinforce your understanding ... :)
[automerge]1584250223[/automerge]
Homopolar generator or Faraday's Disc/Wheel:

Homopolar generator - Wikipedia - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Homopolar_generator

Last edited:

Reply to The induced EMF can be found by...........? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net