Discuss TNS system in house built in 1929 in Croydon in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

T

timmy123

Looking to change consumer unit in this house and following ZE tests and examination of the incoming supply I cannot identify any incominmg earth. Also no sign that an earthing point has been soldered/weeped onto lead sheathing.Supply cables appear to be in lead sheath then enclosed in steel conduit .ZE reading is 30 Ohms. No equpotential bonding present on gas and water supplies.
As the house is in suburban croydon I am assuming that this is not a TT system.

I would appreciate any comments on this scenario and advice on getting a decent earth connection installed. Is this the electricity suppliers responsibility?

Many thanks for your comments

I believe they are responsible for maintaining and correcting an existing earth system that they provided
If there is no earth,they are not commited to suplying one, they may very well charge you to provide one
They could also tell you to supply your own TT

With a lot of luck,they will upgrade the system at no charge

No, changed my mind,they will charge you whatever they can get away with

Every time I have had a high ZE reading I've phoned the board and they have sent someone out immediately free of charge and fixed it!! Believe it is there responsibility unless TT system!

Really? Code 2? The house has no decent connection to earth, which is the way that the whole ADS system works... If there was an RCD main swich at 300/100mA then yes I would agree, but if it's an old installation and all you have is MCBs or fuses protecting the circuit, then with a 30 Ohm earth fault path the protective devices ain't ever gonna trip, as in a worst case earth fault scenario the fault current won't even reach 8 amps!!

Code 1, electrical danger notification issued due to there being no adequate means of earthing for the installation... Call the board ASAP.

No main bonding I agree with as a code 2.

Last edited:
its not a tn-s system then? its an old installation so probably didnt supply an earth back when initially constructed. the pipework would of been lead which would of been used as the main earth. our local electricity supplier took 6 weeks to convert to a pen and didnt charge anything.

Surely if there was no earth at all, somebody in 81 years would have noticed it? Is the distribution board also from the 20's?

I can't say that I know much about supply regulations from that far back in time, but I do know that TN-S supplies that use the sheath as an earth have a habit of degrading over time. Is there any chance of checking the premises either side of the one you're working on to see whether they have an adequate earth?

Surely if there was no earth at all, somebody in 81 years would have noticed it? Is the distribution board also from the 20's?

yeah you would of thought so, the number of properties we go to and there is no provision for earth and you find the main earth shoved behind the yeb board is unreal.

Reply to TNS system in house built in 1929 in Croydon in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net