Discuss To MWC or not in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Morning guys. I'm hoping I've not been a numpty and missed this on another post but my signal is limited and phone screen small.

I work for a company doing social housing maintenance. Anyway they are now demanding we fill out a Mwc for everything thing we replace like for like eg ballasts, starters? Etc. I have combed through the regs and also gn3 and can only find a reference to say that a cert may be used not has to be. We do use them for example socket, fan change etc. While I was training I was always told that if you don't touch the final connections to the fitting then technically you shouldn't have to complete a Mwc. Obviously I have never had a definitive answer from various qs' over the years. I have also noticed that withamd 3 the Mwc has changed to minor installation works certificate and is not required for like for like anymore (if I'm reading it correctly).

It's not that I want to prove a point but I want to be better informed before I start shouting my mouth off and look like a right plum.

Chris

If your employer is asking for the cert, then you need to do it. That said its all a bit pointless as you could spend more time filling out the cert than doing the work.

I don't always do a MWC, but if its a simple change of fitting I will often do a Zs and note the value on the cert........

The notes on the MWC generic model state that it

"may be used for replacement of equipment such as accessories or luminaires. Appropriate inspection and testing however, should always be carried out irrespective of the extent of the work undertaken"

Couple that with the requirements to make sure that a circuit is safe and adequate before alteration is undertaken and you have yourself a well justified and conscientious order from an employer.

I think your beef, is the extent of tests you're going to carry out, relative to the tests as shown on the MWC? Would that not be something your employer should be giving guidance on, in relation to the work carried out?

I have also noticed that withamd 3 the Mwc has changed to minor installation works certificate

You are mistaken. The so-called "Minor Works Cert" has always officially been called a Minor Electrical Installation Works Certificate. That has nothing to do with Amendment No. 3 (nor was it ever required for like-for-like, but as stated if requested then you must do it).

Reply to To MWC or not in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net