Discuss Trailer connection in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Ready to install a 4 pin to 7 pin trailer adapter on 2011 Subaru Forester. Found this black box with no markings. Note there's no 12 gauge wire coming into the harness as would be needed for trailer brakes. What is this box?

Attachments

• 20210912_090022.jpg
    502.4 KB · Views: 9
You can't just connect trailer lights directly to the car lights these days, as you would have in the past, because the car wires are so thin that they already operate at their limit, and there are lamp monitoring circuits that would get upset with additional lamps.
This box takes a feed from the battery, uses the car light circuits to operate relays, and then feeds the trailer lights with the battery power.
The label mentions stop, tail and turn lights, and the four wires on the out side are enough for this.

You can't just connect trailer lights directly to the car lights these days, as you would have in the past, because the car wires are so thin that they already operate at their limit, and there are lamp monitoring circuits that would get upset with additional lamps.
This box takes a feed from the battery, uses the car light circuits to operate relays, and then feeds the trailer lights with the battery power.
The label mentions stop, tail and turn lights, and the four wires on the out side are enough for this.
Thank you so much! That makes a lot of sense.

Reply to Trailer connection in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Mobile home outdoor power supply is a pedestal that power to the mobile home plugs in much like an RV. The main power supply into the mobile home...
Replies
Views
I have a 2850kw coffee machine and I need to keep it running whilst I am on the move. It is in a trailer that is set up at 32A so the inlet is a...
Replies
Views
I have had my kitchen rewired ready for a new kitchen. I was originally going to have a gas cooker so a 3 pin 13a socket was left on the end of...
Replies
Views
Iv been asked to wire a separator (portable to go to different farms and separate water from slurry) to a 3phase 40 kva generator. The separator...
Replies
Views
Hello everyone... There are a total of 4 cables entering the junction box at the top of the staircase. Two 12/2 cables are coming in through the...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock