Discuss Type A RCD on electric vehicle charging in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

The "normal" RCD is a type AC.

Type 'AC' Range
For use in 50Hz AC electrical circuits feeding loads which do not interfere with the standard AC supply.

Type 'A' Range
For use in 50Hz AC electrical circuits feeding loads which can generate pulsed wave forms on the AC supply.

Type 'B' Range
For use in 50Hz AC electrical circuits feeding loads which can generate AC & DC leakage currents

The information on EV charging points is that a type A RCD is preferred, however it is not required, but type A should provide a greater level of protection in case of DC faults on the vehicle.
I believe that the majority of EV charging points incorporate RCD protection in the unit anyway and that this should be type A.
Does cause difficulties with existing RCD protected circuits and discrimination!

i didn't know that, richard, so i gave you a thanks.

Reply to Type A RCD on electric vehicle charging in the Electric Vehicles Advice Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

I am an NICEIC contractor but I have never installed an Electric vehicle charger. I have watched all of the relevant NICEIC webinars (The wire) on...
Replies
Views
  • Article
There is a virtual Automotive Tech Forum event on 27th and 28th March 2024. This event is being held at the end of March and is a virtual event...
Replies
Views
  • Article
Electrical2Go - Green2go Launches for All Your Solar, EV Charging and Renewable Needs Green2Go - for All Your Solar, EV Charging and Renewable...
Replies
Views
Evening all, I have a little conundrum I need to get resolved. I’ve moved an EV charger from a single phase board that was on a 40a breaker and...
Replies
Views
  • Article
We're pleased to introduce Green2Go, the newest addition to the Electrical2Go family! This dedicated platform is the ultimate destination for our...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock