Discuss Type of Earthing System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Am i right in saying this is a TNC-S earthing arrangement?
The supply cable (which looks perished any advice on this welcome) comes from the wall in between the two houses (its a semi-detached). And no sign of it outside wall. So must be fed from underground. But there is a separate stranded cable that has earth sleeving on it and goes in to the MET which then also has the link wire to the Neutral terminal. Obviously I cant see any more of it it just goes into the wall. But it looks crap and undersized!

I am still training as an electrical engineer and Im interested to learn the donestic side (earthing systems, inspection and testing etc.) but it is my house. Probably going to ring YEB replace supply cable..
Thanks in advance for any comments!

Attachments

• Type of Earthing System 060DBCB4-2722-4C5D-B48C-86EA0798031C - EletriciansForums.net
    060DBCB4-2722-4C5D-B48C-86EA0798031C.jpeg
    141.5 KB · Views: 89
  • Type of Earthing System 36B54057-248F-45D6-B7A5-80CEE16D3E30 - EletriciansForums.net
    36B54057-248F-45D6-B7A5-80CEE16D3E30.jpeg
    135.5 KB · Views: 90
It is all very well being inquisitive but taking the cover off the service head is not advised. One it is not your property and two that cable doesn't look in the greatest of condition and disturbing it could lead to a fault condition on it which is likely to lead to severe injury on your part.

Possibly linked off next doors incomer, yes it's TNCS. And as above....you should not have removed the cover of the service head.

Ok thanks guys. There was no seal on this cover. I was merely doing a safe inspection as it looked in a sorry state. But your advice has been noted and we are going to get them out to it. Thanks.

Ok thanks guys. There was no seal on this cover. I was merely doing a safe inspection as it looked in a sorry state. But your advice has been noted and we are going to get them out to it. Thanks.

It doesn't matter whether it is sealed or not, you need to be aware that this equipment is the property of the DNO and you are not permitted to open it.

How did you establish that your inspection was safe? Did you have the correct PPE and training to work on this live equipment?

I could be wrong but You will have needed to take the fuse hoder out to access the screw that than gives access to the CNE terminal.

Having removed the fuse in the first instance (A no as everyone has stated...yes we know it happens but that doesn't make it OK. you then proceed to reinsert the carrier (presumably with fuse still in as there is no image to say otherwise) with LIVE PARTS exposed. Others have already stated on the PPE front and for good reason.

If you want to want to get to know the inside of a service head (and earthing arrangements and what they look like either;

1. Get on youtube and search; GSH Electrical does a few videos on what earthing systems look like on paper and how they appear in reality. John Ward (flameport.com) also does some good indepth content on the evolution of the cutout.

2. Get on eBay and the like and buy one that's been decom'd (if you're a tight-arse like me) and then play with it, hell; make yourself a mockup house on a sheet of MDF; cutout, isolator, consumer unit and whatever you want for final circuits. At least then you can explore safely.

Curiousity is great and all but it also killed the cat (unless the owner of said cat was Schrödinger in which case, the jury is still undecided on that one.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the reason the cable looks manky is that it was previously terminated in a pitch-filled sealing chamber - note the wooden bung still attached - that predated the Series 5. The cutout was then replaced and the cable was melted out of the pitch, leaving it covered in black goop when the insulation itself might be fine.

Of course, you can't know what that bit looks like, because you didn't take the cover off.

As has been pointed out already the sticker on the front of the cutout clearly tells you what type of earthing is there, PME so therfore it is TNCS.

And this just goes to reinforce the point I have often made, labels, stickers etc are a waste of time, nobody reads them or pays any attention to them

As has been pointed out already the sticker on the front of the cutout clearly tells you what type of earthing is there, PME so therfore it is TNCS.

And this just goes to reinforce the point I have often made, labels, stickers etc are a waste of time, nobody reads them or pays any attention to them
It's PME. But, as I have to post more than 3 words, I will say it again, it's PME!

Reply to Type of Earthing System in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock