Discuss Updating Garage wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Ross Lakin

-
DIY
Reaction score
Hi there , I'm currently about to add some more sockets in my garage , and would like to replace the CU and change the radial circuit to a ring circuit
my current set up (already installed when I moved in ) :
40a mcb in house consumer unit
3 core 1.5mm swa buried to the garage CU approx 12-15m ( now I can't believe this has even been used and how it hasn't melted , but this will be getting replaced )
garage cu has a 40a rcd with 2x 10a mcb and 1 x 16a mcb
1 10a is feeding the 1 double socket I currently have in the garage used for tumble dryer and freezer
1 10a is feeding the 2 flourescents
1 16a is feeding an external double socket about 10 meters down the garden in 3core 2.5mm swa cable this is running a lazy spa and a pond filter

my plans
upgrade the consumer unit , I have one from screw fix with a 40a Rcd , 1x32a mcb 1x6a
i would like to install a ring circuit in the garage and add an extra 3/4 double sockets , so I can use power tools , dryer , freezer etc ,for this I would use the 32a mcb
the lights I plan on keeping the same but will add another switch , I will use the 6a mcb for this

now my questions are ,
1. Is it possible to wire the already installed external socket down the garden off the ring main I will be installing via a fused spur ? If not could I add an 16a mcb onto the new consumer with the 40a rcd , 32&6a mcb as this would obviously be 54a , but obviously when u factor in diversity would it be ok ?
2 . Obviously the swa feeding the garage is way under rated and will need upgrading would this be ok in 6mm swa ?

Obviously I know some people are going to say get an electrician in , I would really like to try the install out myself , but I would make sure that I get an electrician to come and check my work and test and sign it off

thanks

No electrician worth his salt will sign off such a job, especially without prior notification. The job you are proposing to carry out needs to be installed, tested and certificated by someone with the correct knowledge to do so. It could be potentially life threatening, either immediately or in the future, to carry on with this work without the proper training, experience, and equipment.
To encourage and help you to do this work would be irresponsible of anyone on this forum. There is also a legal requirement to report all this work through building control.

Please call a local electrician or three and get some quotes for this work.

Last edited:
How many people do you need to tell you to get an electrician in. You are an accident waiting to happen.

So just to clarify would it be possible to wire the exterior sockets off the ring main with a fused spur ??

:61::smug:
I get the picture gents , I suppose your right (it pains me to say it lol ) I will call an electrician , what sort of price am I looking at ?

I honestly thought I was competent enough I mean look at how well I did wiring a plug

image.jpeg

:61::smug:
I get the picture gents , I suppose your right (it pains me to say it lol ) I will call an electrician , what sort of price am I looking at ?

It isn't really feasible to indicate prices over the net.... the only way is to get a a couple of local sparks round to view and discuss options.

I have on rare occasions agreed that the home owner can assist me ..... and they are rather surprised by the time it takes, all the parts you need and the sheer range of different tools - and then the testing...

How about you post your location and see if anyone on here is local to you?

Op if you wish to post up your Location then maybe a member is close to you, but there won't be any advice handed out on how to do a step by step install, it would be foolish and potentially dangerous to do that. We can't encourage diyers to take on that kind of project or assistthem so the the thread will get closed if we see it going that way.

Cheers GMES

OP: You can save some money be doing all the donkey work for the electrician, like digging the trench for the new cable. Just have a word with the electrician first.

Reply to Updating Garage wiring in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net